Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy Halloween

Okay, first off sorry for the late Halloween post, but at least you had Lunahuana (Día 2) to read. :)  Anyway, my Halloween costume yesterday was a gringa (and by that I mean I changed nothing about my appearance).  I had the most interesting experience on the micro in the morning, too.  I got on really late, not because I woke up late or anything, I was just taking my time.  I was around 25 minutes later than usual.  I knew there was no way that I was going to make it to class on time, except I did by some miracle (or the driver).  It was probably the most terrifying micro experience I've had so far, which is fitting considering yesterday was Halloween.  I was sitting in the best spot though for this ride.  I was sitting behind the passenger seat and right in front of where the cobrador stands.  It was crazy.  The driver was psycho and an older lady passenger was yelling at him to drive better because he was changing lanes frequently and he ran two red lights.  The guy in the passenger seat was yelling out the window and acting as a second cobrador.  The cobrador and driver were talking and laughing back and forth and the driver was talking to other micro drivers.  He kept yelling "Vamos" (Let's go!) to the other drivers because they were the same number micro, it's like they were racing.  Needless to say, I got to PUCP (in one piece) with more than 5 minutes to spare.  I just kept laughing the whole time along with the cobrador, driver, and the guy in the passenger seat, but I was also scared.  It was interesting!

Once I finally made it to class safely, we watched a video.  Honestly, I couldn't tell you what it was about.  Yesterday was so long ago and a micro experience is WAY easier to remember than a class. :)  Sorry, there probably won't be too much information on my classes tonight. :P  Anyway, after Peruvian Social Reality I ate lunch with some of my friends.  I shared my turrón that I bought last Friday at Señor de los Milagros.  It was gone fast, which is good because I definitely didn't need it all.  Then I had Spanish Writing Workshop and we practiced more subjunctive.  I feel like that's what were going to continue to do, which is okay by me because I need the practice.  And then of course after that I had my Ethnography class and we watched a movie in that class, too.  Again, I'm sorry, but I couldn't tell you what it was about.

Once I got home from classes, I was soo excited to see little kids on the streets trick or treating.  It was so cute and I didn't really realize that they did that here.  They actually celebrate two holidays on October 31st.  One being Halloween which comes from the US American culture (People dress up and go trick or treating or to parties) and the second being Día de la Canción Criolla (People celebrate Criolla music and go to peñas which is a club with music and dance similar to La Dama Juana's dinner and show I went to).  I was still exhausted from the weekend so I didn't go out last night, but I did celebrate Halloween.  I did this by watching the Disney Channel movie Halloweentown. :)  I was going to watch Hocus Pocus, too, but I didn't get the chance.  Anyway, my night went pretty well.  Sorry, I don't remember a ton about the day, but I hope you still enjoyed this post and I also hope you enjoyed your Halloween yesterday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment