Saturday, November 5, 2011

Taller de cocina

This morning/afternoon, we had our last taller (workshop) and it was a cooking workshop!!  We went to the a cooking institute called Expro and we had a wonderful chef instructor, Chef Jose Antonio.  We made four Peruvian dishes:  ají de gallina, ceviche de pescado, causa rellena de pulpo de olivo, and lomo saltado.  It was really fun!  We actually got to make some of the food rather than just standing there while the chef cooked it.  I squeezed limons and cut some sea bass for the ceviche, peeled potatoes for the causa, shredded chicken for the ají de gallina, and I got to help in cooking a batch of lomo saltado..yum!!
Eating the potato skin that was going to be thrown away

Causa

Ceviche (Cebiche)

Food, Pisco Sours, and Fun!

Plate #1:  Lomo saltado (duh!), Ají de gallina, and ceviche
Okay, so obviously after making it all we got to eat it!!  I decided to try ceviche again.  I had it the very first full day I was here and disliked it.  Well, I decided that it's been awhile so I wanted to try it (plus, I helped make it).  I actually did like it this time.  I still don't think I would choose to order it, especially over something like lomo saltado, but it was good!  So, I guess it's not as terrible as I originally thought, but the raw fish still freaks me out a little.  Causa is something I still don't like.  I don't mind the outside, which is made of potato, but the stuff that it's filled with usually doesn't interest me (avocado, olive pulp).  The lomo saltado was good as always!  They put pisco in it so of course it caught on fire, it was cool and scary (I let another girl take over pan when he added the pisco).  Okay, now for something that just might shock you...I can't decide now if lomo saltado is my favorite or ají de gallina!  I mean I guess technically I don't need to have a favorite, but I was just shocked that I found something that just might be better.  I don't remember trying ají de gallina at all since I've been here, but it was delicious today!  Anyway, either way the food was good and the taller was awesome!  This workshop and the cajón workshop are definitely up there on my favorites list. :)  Unfortunately, all I can make with confidence after today is lomo saltado, but I could probably give ají de gallina a shot.

Anyway, other than the cooking workshop, I really didn't do much again today. :/  Oh well! :)  It has been nice to have a relaxing weekend. :)  I hope you all are having nice and relaxing weekends, too.  And I hope you're time change goes well for you back in the states.  I, however, will not be gaining an hour.  Peru does not recognize daylight savings. :)  Sweet dreams.  Enjoy the extra hour!

1 comment:

  1. This workshop definitely sounded an looked like fun, I really cant wait to try lomo saltado, and to try cooking any of these dishes with you honey! Love you!

    ReplyDelete