Friday, November 18, 2011

Correr la tabla

So, this morning I didn't do much, like every weekend.  I always save my homework for Sunday, who knows why?  I pretty much just relaxed until 2 p.m. and what did I did at 2 p.m. do you ask?  I went surfing for the first time ever!  It was crazy.  A group of 7 of us went.  Three of the girls go all the time, one girl had been once, and then it was the first time for the rest of us.  When we got to the beach, we met our instructors.  We had three guys helping us:  Javier, Carlos, and Daniel.  Then, we got to take on the challenge of putting on a wet suit.  Ever put one on?  It's more difficult then it seems.
Attractive, huh?
The group!
Once we got pictures out of the way, four of us started our correr la tabla (aka surfing, literally translating "running the board") lesson.  First, I had to learn what foot I steer with.  I stood there with my feet together and arms out and someone pushed me from behind and whatever foot I put out first to catch my fall is my front foot on the board.  Well, I must be the minority because I was one of four that put out the right foot.  The second reason why I know I'm the minority...they called my position "goofy" and the other group was "regular."  So whenever the instructors asked which way I surf, I got to say I was "goofy." :)  Then, we watched Javier as he explained how to stand up on the board and then we got to take a stab at it.  It was easy on land, not so much on water. :)  But still, before the water, we had to warm up.  We jogged down the sidewalk and back and did some stretching before going out into the water.  Soon enough, we were off and the four of us were in the water with Carlos and Daniel.  We went to the side of the beach, where the waves were smaller and it was closer to shore.  Apparently, it's harder to surf on small waves, but I'm okay with that considering it was my first time.

Anyway, we paddle out and we were surfing in no time.  We went one by one and Carlos told us when to take waves, when to start paddling, and when to stand up.  Funny thing is that everytime they said to paddle, I swear I didn't move until the wave was actually there pushing me. :)  My first time around, I couldn't stand up.  I went to my knees, but couldn't stand the rest of the way up.  Every time after that, though, I stood up.  Granted, I fell every single time, too, but still I stood up!  That's progress!  We keep going one by one and I lost track of how many waves I actually took, but it was fun.  I would do it again in the future.  By the end of it, I was standing up for longer, but I still went crashing down at some point.  The falling wasn't so bad.  I didn't get hurt once.  You want to know what did happen though...  I got salt water in my mouth, up my nose, in my ears, in my eyes, etc.  Salt water sucks!  I despise it!  Why can't the ocean just be fresh water?  It would be so much more enjoyable.  There were a couple of times where I just wanted to take a break because my eyes were killing me or because I thought I was going to get sick from tasting the water, but I didn't.  We were only out on the water for about an hour I think, but it felt like forever.  People literally can surf all day and I think that's crazy!  I was satisfied with our one hour trip out to the water.
After surfing :)  Not any more attractive
than the first picture. ha
Once we got back into shore, we had the second challenge of taking our wet suit off. :)  I actually found it to be easier than putting it on.  Just in case you every find yourself in a wet suit... the key is to roll it off. :)  Anyway, then of course we got some ice cream which was being sold nearby and we sat down waited for the sun to set.  Some of the girls went back out into the water to watch, but I just stayed on shore and then I headed out when it was done.  I would like to thank our instructors from Pukana Surf School for a great day.  Again, if you ever find yourself in a wet suit and in Lima look up Pukana Surf at http://www.pukanasurf.com/.  Also, I would like to thank Meghan, a girl from my program, who is a New York surfer herself and she organized today's festivities. :)
Sunset on the beach
Tonight, as soon as I got home, I only had about an hour or so before I left again.  Tonisha and I went to the movies and saw Amanecer Parte I, otherwise known as Breaking Dawn Part I (the last book in the Twilight series).  It was really good!  I have only read the first book, so I didn't know what was going to happen in this movie, but I liked it.  It was crazy.  Tonisha said the book was better, but what's new?  It was still a good movie, though, and I'm excited for the last movie to come out.  Tonisha says that I need to just read the books, but we'll see about that.

Anyway, that was my day in a nutshell!  It went well and I did a really good job in avoiding homework. :)  Now, I'm heading to bed.  I have no clue what adventure awaits me tomorrow, but I'm sure no matter what it will be exciting!

And remember, it's still November, so I'm going to keep bugging you about voting for ILS at http://www.refresheverything.com/illinoisleadershipseminars!  Please keep reminding your friends as well.  We're at spot number 25, but we need to get to 15.  We need to keep pushing forward!  Thanks for all your help.

Dulces sueños!

No comments:

Post a Comment