Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lobos marinos

Okay, so I'm going to put yesterday's and today's blog all in one post since not much happened yesterday anyway. :)

Starting with yesterday (Friday), I slept in later than I should have and then did absolutely nothing all day.  Okay, now on to today. :)  Just kidding, kind of.  Yesterday I did sleep in, but I was fairly productive in the morning.  I took a final assessment for my Living and Learning class and sent in that final paper.  Then, I watched the movie, The Proposal, which is a good one.  If you want a good romantic comedy I would suggest watching it. :)  Then, I tried doing some homework and I was going to start and finish my Ethnography paper, but we both know that didn't happen.  I think I got a sentence and a half written and then Tonisha came over and we watched the movie DiosesDioses is the movie that I watched in Cine on Tuesday and the movie that my final paper is on, so I'm sure I will watch it at least one more time this weekend so that I can write a good review.  After that, Tonisha left and I laid down for bed and not soon after, I felt a tremor.  This one was shorter than all the other ones I have felt here, but it was a little bit scarier because I was laying in my lofted bed thinking how would I even begin to get down if there was a strong earthquake that hit Lima.  Luckily, I didn't have to find out what I would do though. :)  So, of course, I had to look up the earthquake on the internet when I woke up this morning.  I'm sure the Peruvians think nothing of it but I'm still not used to them so I like knowing where the tremors come from.  It came from about 120 miles north of Lima and it was a 5.0 earthquake.  Anyway, I went to sleep after that and then as soon as I knew it my Saturday was starting.

So, moving onto today. :)  I woke up early (well, early for a Saturday) and headed out to meet all the CIEE students for our last Cultural Activity.  Today's activity?  Swimming with sealions (lobos marinos, literally translated marine wolves).  We took a bus to the port of Callao and boarded boat #1, which then took us to boat #2 called the Estrella (Star) and we headed out on our tour.  We saw the islands of Callao.
La Isla San Lorenzo, la Isla El Frontón, la Isla Cavinzas y las Islas Palominos
On la Isla San Lorenzo, there was a center for the Peruvian Navy as well as another house for the President. :)  The ride to las Islas Palominos was pretty good.  I've never been on a boat in the ocean before for a long period of time, so I took a Dramamine before for precautionary measures, but I still had a headache for the first part of the trip.  We saw penguins and some jelly fish on the way to see the sea lions and when we got to the island everybody pointed out the sea lions.  I looked at the water and I was so impressed by all the sea lions, then I looked up to the island and there, sitting on the island, were SOOO many more sea lions that were blending into the island's terrain!!  Look!
What you see at first glance
What you see at second glance
There were so many sea lions!  It was crazy!  And it smelled of a hog confinement, but more sea-y.  The stench was horrible, but it didn't take too long to get used to.  We put on our wetsuits (well, some of us had them and some of us didn't) and our lifejackets and jumped into the cold Pacific Ocean!  And boy, was it cold.  I had a wetsuit, but it didn't do too much good because it was way too big.  I didn't even want to move in the water because everytime I did the water would go streaming inside my wetsuit.  Brrr.  But it was really fun!  The sea lions wouldn't let us get too close because they would dive whenever we did, but one did pop up about three feet away from me and I may or may not have let out a small scream.  It was fun!
See..the wetsuit is a tad big
In the water with the sea lions.

Anyway, we stayed in the water for awhile and it was such a curiousity show.  They were staring at us and we were staring at them.  It was funny.  We then boarded the boat and went around the island back to Callao.  When we were on the boat, they gave us CocaCola/IncaKola and a bowl of chips and pretzels sticks.  I'm pretty sure we ate about 5 or 6 bowls of snacks.  Then, as we were pulling into the bay to get back on boat #1, they gave us a small glass of Pisco Sour, too.  It was really nice.  I'm glad they fed us because I was hungry.  Anyway, after we got back on land, we headed back to Miraflroes and I took a short nap on the bus and since then, I have done nothing.  Now, I REALLY have to start and finish my Ethnography paper and then maybe watch Dioses for the third time, so that I can watch that tomorrow. :)  I hope you all had wonderful Saturdays.  I can't believe my time here is winding down sooo fast!  Soon enough, I will be back in Illinois/Wisconsin celebrathing Christmas. Yay!

So, I just had to take a break from writing this blog because my host mom hollered up to me saying that she needed my help.  Guess what she needed?  She needed me to make pickle roll-ups for her get-together she's having tonight! :)  Haha, how fun is that?  Anyway, now who knows if I'll get my paper done because I might have to join in on the fun! :)

Okay, now the usual vote for ILS!  Please, vote!  It's really not that hard nor does it take a lot of time out of your day!  Thanks for the support!!
Vote online:
Vote by texting:  109528 to 73774

No comments:

Post a Comment