Friday, November 11, 2011

JajajaPón

So, it wasn't sunny at 8 a.m. today, but don't worry it was still sunny today.  I headed to school early today because my ballet class got moved up an hour.  Today, was a pretty relaxed class.  My professor is working on a piece that is for December so while she worked on that with five people in my class, the rest of us did regular ballet exercises.  She just kept going back and forth between the two groups.  It wasn't really helpful because she didn't criticize us a lot, but her choreography that she is creating is pretty, so I like watching that develop.

Anyway, after ballet, I ate lunch in the sun..yay.  Then, I took a walk around the new student union on campus.  Yep, that's right, I may have missed the opening of Carthage's new student union, but I didn't miss PUCP's.  Anyway, they just opened it yesterday.  It's not actually finished, but it still looks good.  Except, in my opinion, it's not very home-y.  The whole building is made of cement so it's so bland.  You walk around and all you see is cement...oh and a TON of hard tables and chairs!  There are tables and chairs everywhere!  And not comfy ones, but plastic ones. :(  Like I said, not home-y, but I guess you could say it's a pretty cool space.  I definitely got lost in it.  There's also a Domino's Pizza and a crepe place (I definitely rewarded myself with a manjarblanco crepe...I don't know exactly what I was rewarding myself for, but I'm sure I deserved it for some reason). :)  There are supposedly going to be other restaurants in there, too.  Anyway, here's a picture of the building...it's actually a cool looking building...

After exploring the new student union, I just laid in the sun some more.  It was wonderful!  I love the sun. :)  I mean I love snow, too, but since I missed the end of summer and since it's cloudly in Lima for 80% of the year, I'm pretty excited about it.  Actually, our director told us that it's usually not this sunny in November, so we're lucky. :)  After soaking in the sun, it was off to Deporte y Vida.

Deporte y Vida was fun as always.  Honestly, I really don't feel like I helped a lot today though.  A lot of the kids that I "helped" today seemed to have their homework under control on their own.  I guess I was their just to keep them focused on doing it.  These two girls kept getting distracted fairly easily by talking and telling jokes.  Of course, I think I was also encouraging them because I was laughing at their jokes.  Favorite joke of the day (Sorry in advance if you don't get it):  ¿Qué país es donde se cuentan chistes y después una bomba explota? (What country is it where they tell jokes and after a bomb explodes?)  Do you know?  Okay, the answer is:  JajajaPón (Japón = Japan).  Jaja in Spanish is haha and pón is boom.  So for all of you native English speakers, this joke would be funny if there was a country called Haboom. :P  Anyway, I also had to do some geometry today.  I don't remember formulas for the life of me so that was really difficult, but still fun.  And finally, at the end of today, we played soccer.  It was fun, I actually liked running around and playing soccer.  Unfortunately, my time lost, bu it was still a blast.  This poor kid though...I knocked him down at least four times and really I didn't knock him down, it's not like I pushed him or anything.  It's just that I'm so much bigger and everytime that I stuck out my foot to kick the ball, he would trip over it.  Whoops.  I felt really bad, but he was tough.

Also, I have a question for all of you.  I have been asked more than once, "What do you eat in the U.S.?" and still I don't know how to answer.  How would you answer?  It's really hard to answer that question here especially since Peruvians are very into their food.  Whenever I say "we don't have a typical plate," I always get funny looks.  I've given this question so much thought, but I still don't know.  Usually someone might say pizza and hamburgers, but if you really think about it, do you really eat that much pizza and hamburgers on a daily basis?  I don't.  Our food has so many different influences.  I can list off plates that I eat in my house, but still I wouldn't say that's a typical plate.  This question just baffles me.  I've tried listing off things before, but even then I'm just not sure.  For me, I would say spaghetti is a pretty typical plate or the BBQ is a pretty US American thing (steaks, hamburgers, pork chops, hotdogs).  I'm just not sure though.  Comment if you know how you would answer that question. :)

Anyway, tonight I went out to dinner with Tonisha.  We went to a sandwich place in Parque Kennedy and we just sat their and ate and chatted.  Then, of course, we moved to Café Z and sat there and chatted even longer.  It was a good night and we had fun laughing together.  Sorry that this blog is slightly late for some of you.  I got home last night and then waited to long to start and then got really tired halfway through writing it. :/  Anyway, it's up now.  That's all that matters.  I hope you all have wonderful 11/11/11s and a great Veteran's Day. :)

Also, don't forget to keep voting for ILS!!  We are currently ranking 33 and we only have to get down to top 15 and stay there for the rest of November!  Honestly, I think we can get down to #1!  We may not stay there, but ILS is a huge community, as you can see since we jumped 88 to 33 in a matter of two days!  Anyway, go and vote!  PLEASE! :) And tell your friends and family!
http://www.refresheverything.com/illinoisleadershipseminars

2 comments:

  1. i know exactly what YOU eat...raw spaghetti! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could "like" taylor's comment I totally would. It's perfect. I would say you're on the right track with the grill. Do you think of any other counties when you say "gonna have steak on the grill"? I don't. I think that is totally american. Love you! Kayla

    ReplyDelete