Wednesday, November 23, 2011

El fin de algunas clases

Oh, where do I even start.  I've had such a long night that I've forgotten about my day, but I'll try to remember.  I started my day with Peruvian Social Reality.  We talked about gender today, like machismo.  I'll give you the wikipedia definition of machismo..."describes prominently exhibited or excessive masculinity.  As an attitude, machismo ranges from a personal sense of virility to a more extreme male chauvinsim.  Characteristics include domineering, fierceness, bravado, etc., in ways that are showily and histrionically tough."  Anyway, yea that's machismo and we actually talked about how some of the characteristics of machismo today used to be characteristics of patriarchy back in the day.  After that, we had Living and Learning.  Today, we did mock interviews for our future jobs and worked on ways to plug the study abroad experience.  It was actually really helpful!  I'm so excited for future job opportunities and I know that study abroad will definitely boost my resume!

After lunch, I had my Spanish Writing Workshop.  It was our last actual class today.  We worked on simplifying writing again.  It was actually kind of difficult.  We're always taught to elaborate and write more, but in class today we were doing the opposite.  It was an interesting exercise.  We also revised each other's short written paragraphs so we got some practice in revising papers.  Then, after that, I had my last Ethnography class for the semester!  It was such a weird feeling.  This semester has flown by.  It feels like just yesterday that I was starting my classes.  Anyway, I still have a final paper to write for that class along with two others, but I should be good.  Here pretty soon I will be spending all my time writing papers (not really, but I should be).  I have three papers to write this week.  I would have two weeks to write them, but since I am going on one last trip, I have to finish them all before I leave.

Anyway, once I got back to Miraflores, I walked to Metro and Vivanda (two grocery stores) to look for the ingredients for pickle-roll ups, which is what I'm bringing to our Thanksgiving dinner that we are having tomorrow!  I'm so excited!  I didn't have to much trouble finding the ingredients.  Peru does have pickles, cream cheese, and ham.  However, garlic salt...I'm not sure.  They have something that translates as garlic dust, which I'm assuming is garlic powder. :/  Luckily, there's the internet that is able to tell me that garlic salt is 1/8 tsp. garlic powder and 7/8 tsp. salt.  So tomorrow, I am going to get the so-called garlic dust and test my skills.  I hope they turn out okay.  Anyway, also I passed Ripley's (store equivalent to Macy's) and it looks like Christmas threw up in there and also, in Parque Kennedy they have been putting up a Christmas tree all week.  I'm not sure what's taking so long, but they started on Monday and it's still only halfway done.  I will say that it is going to be beautiful when it's done though.

Anyway, tonight has been so long without having really done anything.  I wanted to work on some of my papers, but that of course didn't happen.  I spent the whole night trying to buy bus and plane tickets for the trip to Puno and Arequipa.  It was pretty much a disater and I was getting really frustrated, but finally, I got it done, so I at least have a plan ticket to Juliaca and a bus ticket from Arequipa back to Lima.  Everything else in between is planned as well, but we just have to make the reservations for our tours and stuff.  I'm soooo excited for this last trip!  The two major tours were doing is one on Lake Titicaca, which is the highest commercially navigable lake in the world and were actually staying on an island with a host family for one night there and then the other major tour is to Colca Canyon, outside of Arequipa, which is supposedly the world's deepest canyon!  Looking back on my experience in Peru I have experienced so many of these world's deepest, highest, farthest, longest, etc., it's crazy, but I'll probably reminisce about all that stuff as the clock winds down and as I am packing my bags.

Finally, my usually ILS plug...you know the drill:
http://refresheverything.com/illinoisleadershipseminars
Text: 109528 to 73774!

Dulces sueños!

No comments:

Post a Comment