Thursday, November 3, 2011

¿Negrita?

I went to school a little early today to pick up an article that I have to read for my Ethnography paper.  It's pretty short so that makes me happy. :)  Also, one guy in the Social Sciences library is always so friendly.  He always asks me about Peru and where I've traveled.  I like going there when he is working.  Also, there's another older man that always asks me how to pronounce my last name.  As much as I dislike the library system at PUCP, I'm happy that the librarians are friendly. :)  After my nice conversation with the librarian, I had ballet.  It was a pretty standard day; however, we did have a disater at the beginning of class when the stereo went crashing to the ground.  Luckily, it didn't break so we still had music for class. :)  Then, of course, I ate lunch and was off to Deporte y Vida.

Right when we arrived at Deporte y Vida, we were greeted by a few kids who were already there and they "bombarded" us with "How do you say ____ in English" questions. :)  That always makes me smile, too, not only because I'm selfish and it makes me feel good that I "know" two languages, but also because I like that all the kids are so eager to learn (I guess that's my inner future teacher talking to me).  Plus, the students always get a kick out of some of our funny words, they get confused by the "th," and they get even more confused when you tell them that that sound doesn't exist in Spanish.  Anyway, today I helped a few girls make posters for their class, I helped a boy translate English sentences into Spanish, and I attempted to help a boy with Ecology.  After all that I spent a lot of time talking to some of the professors there at the school.  Every week they say, "Where are you going this weekend?"  They like hearing about my travels and I think they were shocked that I'm not going anywhere this weekend. :)  Also, I had to explain what Thanksgiving was and I had to try and explain why we don't use our mother's last name.  It was good conversation.  Anyway, at one point a young girl and one of the professors referred to me as negra (black).  I was SO confused by this.  The girl was explaining that negra meant black and I obviously told her "yes of course I know what black is," but I was still so confused.  I'm almost always referred to as a gringa here in Peru and there I was sitting at Deporte y Vida and being called Negrita jokingly.  I was trying to figure out if I had something black on my face, but then I finally understood that they were saying that I got tan this weekend in Lunahuaná and they were saying I was "more black."  I have heard different words used to say that someone is tan, but I guess negra works.  It was funny though and I'm glad I finally understood what they were trying to say.  I also am glad that I am getting tanner (less gringa). :)

Anyway, tonight I haven't done too much besides catch up on some of my addictive American TV shows.  I also got some homework done so I have been somewhat productive. :)  I also plan on sleeping in tomorrow so I'm excited for that.  I hope that you have a wonderful Friday!

Also, I feel like it's a good time to thank you all again for reading my blog and sticking with it.  I have been here for over three months, I have written over 100 blogs, I have had hits from 10 different countries, and I still have over a month to go.  It seriously make me so happy to know that people continue to read my blog and it makes me even happier to hear that people enjoy reading it.  Also, I am just so happy that I can share my experiences with you and allow this blog to act as my travel journal.  I hope that you have shared my blog with your friends and I hope that you stick with me for the next month of my adventures.  You all mean a lot to me. :)  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. you're not going anywhere this weekend?!?! how is this possible?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete