Friday, November 25, 2011

Día de Acción de Gracias

First off, I'll say Feliz Dia de Acción de Gracias a.k.a Happy Thanksgiving, but we'll talk more about Thanksgiving later on.

I have to start with telling you the beginning of the day first.  Yesterday was the first and probably only Thanksgiving that I had to have class.  Luckily, it was only ballet, so I was thankful to have it!  Although, had it been another class, I probably wouldn't have been too thankful. :)  Ballet was awesome of course.  Everytime we do jumping in the class though I realize just how out of shape I am and it's depressing.  Oh well.  I will be doing A TON of dancing next semester so I should get in dancer shape fairly quickly.  Today was my second to last ballet class, it's kind of sad. :(  It's been such a great semester in that class. :)  But, also I'm soo excited to get back to the Carthage dance program, like I said I'll be dancing a lot next semester.  I will be in three dances for the Spring dance show and I am in one dance that is going to a conference!  I'm pretty excited!

Anyway, after class, I had to run a few errands.  I stopped by the School of Dance office, because I have to get a letter confirming that I took the class so that I can get credits towards my dance minor. :)  Then, I took a trip to the library to get my books for my Ethnography final paper.  When I was there, the same guy who always asks, asked me about my last name again.  Then, he asked me where I was from and I obviously answered the United States.  Then he commented on the tank top I was wearing and said, "In this age, people don't wear that" and all I said was I know.  I definitely was not dressed inappropriately and it was hot so I took off my cardigan.  I figure I am going to stick out no matter what so I would rather be comfortable and stick out. :)  I felt kind of bad at first, but then as I walked down the sidewalk, I saw several Peruvians who had on tank tops.  I actually saw a Peruvian that I know and she had on a spaghetti strap shirt, so I feel that what I was wearing was okay. :)

Anyway, I walked to Wong (a bigger supermarket than Metro and Vivanda) to look for garlic salt there.  My mom said that Wong was my best shot at finding it and she was right!  There it was on the shelf, Sal de Ajo.  Then, I got the pickles and cream cheese, and then, I had to pick out the ham.  Do you know how many types of ham there are?  A LOT!!  And Peru doesn't have a lot of packaged ham so I stood there in front of the deli trying to choose what kind of ham I wanted and I finally chose something called Jamón Inglés San Francisco blah blah blah..  I don't remember the name, but then a whole other question came up after taking 10 minutes to choose the ham.  How much would you like?  Oh jeez, I have no idea, but we finally got it figured out together. :)  So, I bought my food and headed out.  I debated on taking a micro back, but then I decided that I wanted to take a taxi home so that it would save time.  I decided to take the opportunity to practice my Spanish and I started a conversation with the taxi driver.  It was the usual conversation that always happens:  where are you from, how long are you here, where have you been in Peru, do you like the food?

Once I got home, I had the pleasure of skyping my family while they were all at Thanksgiving dinner. :)  I think they enjoyed playing "Let's pass the phone and make Andrea guess who it is."  I think I passed. :)  I had a really good time skyping everyone and I'm sorry I couldn't be there, but I was definitely thinking about them.  Also, I was able to skype my boyfriend and his family while they were having Thanksgiving dinner, so I kind of experience a regular Thanksgiving. :)  After my skype sessions, I headed to Jen's house and here is where the adventure begins.

I got there around 4 p.m. and started making my pickle roll-ups.  Also, the potatoes were cooking for the mashed potatoes and the turkey was at the bakery.  Here in Peru, you can take your turkey to the local bakery and they cook it for you!  Apparently that happens a lot during Christmas time here.  I wasn't there when they dropped the turkey off, but apparently they had to do some convincing because #1 It's not the season and #2 They had bread to bake. :)  But luckily, they were kind enough to take it.  Anyway, as I was making the pickle roll-ups, I started worrying about whether I should've chose something not as strange.  Pickles aren't very common here and not everyone likes them.  "I mean I guess if people don't like them I can eat them all" is what I started thinking, but I was still worried.  Also, I had to go get more pickles because I ran out, but then I had the perfect amount of everything!  The dinner really kicked into high gear once more people started showing up.  Food was being made and reheated and there were several people in the kitchen. :)
Me, Sheila, Jacey, Jen, and Emily baking in the kitchen

The turkey after we picked it up from the bakery
Anyway, once people started showing up (We invited all the CIEE students plus one person - most of us brought our host moms), I got out my pickle roll-ups.  It was the moment of truth.  Not to be arrogant or anything, but the host moms loved them. :)  They all asked me how to make them and I even saw one mom snap a picture of them!  Also, clearly garlic salt is not a big thing here because when I said that, none of them understood what that was.  They were just like, what is that because salt and garlic are two different things.  I had to show them the bottle so that they understood.  Anyway, it made me feel really good that I could share something with them that comes from my own family.  Last night, overall, was a really good time!  All the food was delicious and the company was awesome, but still never once did it feel like Thanksgiving to me.  Yes, we had a delicious turkey and mashed potatoes, but it just wasn't the same.  Some of us students were talking about how, yes, we did have all the right food, but it wasn't our families food, which I think is exactly right.  Where was my dad's deep fried turkey, the sweet corn, my aunt's ice cream cake, and even though I'm not a fan of them, why were my grandma's oysters not on the table?  Plus, where was my family?  Don't get me wrong, I had an amazing time celebrating Thanksgiving with my Peruvian and CIEE families, but it just wasn't the same.  I'm still so thankful for everything in my life though!

I hope you all had wonderful Thanksgivings and if you are shopping today, I hope you survive. :)

Finally, don't forget to vote for ILS at http://www.refresheverything.com/illinoisleadershipseminars and vote by texting 109528 to 73774!  Make sure you vote using both methods everyday!  And please tell your friends and family.  We're still at 24 and we only have 5 days to get to 15.  Please help us out!

No comments:

Post a Comment