Monday, November 7, 2011

Lunes oximorónico

Today was an overall good Monday.  Kind of an oxymoron if you ask me:  Good Monday. :)  No, just kidding, I believe that Mondays can be good.  I started out the day in Peruvian Social Reality.  We started to watch a video on Alberto Fujimori.  Fujimori was the President of Peru between 1990 and 2000 and he is accredited with ending the terrorist organization, Sendero Luminoso (Shining Path), and restoring the economy, however he did this in a way that violated human rights.  He is now serving time in prison for a number of things including human rights violations, embezzlement, bribery, etc.  Fun fact:  He attended University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  Anyway, so we were watching a video on him, but then the video stopped working.  Our professor tried cleaning the DVD, but that didn't work.  And then, he said something very funny.  He said, "That's what I get for buying a non-pirated DVD.  I'm never buying a real movie again." :)  It obviously made us all laugh.  Unfortunately, we didn't get to watch the rest of the movie, but we still had some good discussion for the rest of the class period.

After class, we all ate lunch and just hung out in the sun.  We also got the chance to work on a Living and Learning assignment, but you'll here more about that when I have class on Wednesday.  After lunch, I had my Spanish Writing class.  We usually write our essays on Wednesday, but we didn't write one last Wednesday, so we worked on it today.  Also, I don't remember if I told you all about this, but I had to make up comic strips in Spanish and I got those back today.  I actually did pretty well with them and my professor laughed at a few.  Although, I'm pretty sure he was laughing at how ridiculously dumb they were. :)  Either way, it still made me smile.  After that, I had Ethnography.  We finished off our lecture on gender since our paper on gender is due next week and then we started a discussion about the different myths and beliefs of people in the Amazon.  For example, there is a myth that the Amazon River originated from a tree.  It was pretty interesting and the class period went pretty fast, which is always nice!

On the way home, our micro decided to take a small detour in order to get in front of slow micros.  Surprisingly, that's the first time I've seen that happen.  It was comical because I was taking a nap on the micro and woke up to see houses and buildings that I was not used to.  Luckily, Jacey was on the micro with me and she told me that we moved to the next street over in order to pass people. :)

Anyway, once I got home, I started doing some homework and then I ate dinner.  As I was eating, my host mom told me that she was having friends over and if I wanted to join them I could.  Well, soon enough two of her friends came and we all sat down and chatted while eating all sorts of things: fruit, vegetables, cheese, bread, etc.  Later on, three more of her friends came.  I'm pretty sure I got scolded more than once for the trips I've been on.  They are all so worried about my safety, but the trips are over now and I'm safe, so I don't think they have to worry. :)  Anyway, I lost time pretty quickly, so then I had to leave the conversation early to finish up some homework.  I got it done and managed to watch the movie Armageddon.  Yay me! :)  And now, I'm about to go to bed!  I hope you all had oxymoronic amazing Mondays. :)  Buenas noches y dulces sueños!

No comments:

Post a Comment