Friday, October 18, 2013

Nada importante

Okay, so I really had time to blog yesterday, but I really just didn't feel like doing it. Sorry. Yesterday was another full day of school and private lessons. I had three English classes, a Science class, and a kindergarten class. Also, as I said the day before, yesterday the girl walked in missing her tooth that was wiggly and bleeding the day before. We hand out this laminated tooth fairy and certificates for those who lose teeth and her face was glowing when she got it. In one class, we did stations to practice the classroom objects and I was so happy with the progress of the students. They definitely know their stuff, which is great! However, it's hard as a teacher to see the difference in progress between classes.

After school, I walked to a private lesson with 12 and 9 year old boys. Again it went really well. It's literally just talking about random things. The younger one, doesn't know as much vocabulary so it takes a little bit of effort to get him talking, but they are great kids and I love working with them. The next lesson was great, too. This 12-year-old girl is friends with the other two that I tutor. So once again we reviewed plate tectonics again and she had some English homework that I helped her with. She was learning irregular verbs in past tense. For example, choose, chose, chosen or give, gave, given. Also, I have noticed this a few times now at private lessons, the -ed in past tense verbs give trouble to some non-natives. For example, it is pronounced three different ways: wanted, liked, played. So what I have heard most often is that the students choose to pronounced it the way it is in wanted (id) for almost all other -ed words. So, liked becomes lik-id. It's really interesting and I had to come home and look up the rule, because I didn't even know. It's just one of those things you memorize when your little. While we are on the subject of "little," I am going to bring up the difference again between British English and American English. We pronounce it with a "d:" liddle, but in British English it is pronounced with the "t." It's really interesting when people don't understand me, sometimes if I change my accent, they can understand what I'm trying to say.

Once I got home, I sat down and did nothing. I relaxed and watched Hormiguero. Tom Hanks was on tonight. I really like him so it was cool to see him on the program. They had him play the giant piano like he did in the movie Big. It was entertaining...
Anyway, other than that I have nothing more to report except for the fact that our fridge is definitely broken! Well, I hope your Thursday was good. Mine wasn't too bad. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment