Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Las placas tectónicas

Okay, so my day was a long one, but here I am to blog about it because tomorrow will be a long-ish day too and I don't want to get behind. I started my day off well, minus a minor freak out because I thought I missed my stop. I'm only on the metro for three total stops (the one I get on at, one in between, and the one I get off at), but that is just enough time to space out and miss the stop, but don't worry, I didn't. However, as we were pulling away from the middle stop, I thought for sure that was where I was supposed to get off. I was delighted to hear that our next stop was in fact my stop though. I got another ride from the train station to the school by some schoolteachers and the classes went fairly well today. In two of my classes, the students were practicing reading the numbers from 1 to 20. They know them verbally and to be honest they surprisingly recognize a lot of them in writing to, so that's fantastic! However, in some of the classes, the students are still wild children. One student gets up and five follow him/her..I'm not kidding. And there is this one particular student (I obviously can not disclose a lot of details lol) and you can see it in his/her eyes that his/her wheels are spinning just trying to push our buttons. He/she really pushes his/her luck. It's extremely frustrating. If you're a teacher, I'm sure you understand. Anyway, we actual did get that class to lay their heads on their desks quietly for a few minutes, which was incredible! It brought me back to my childhood and I immediately thought of Heads Up, Seven Up. I will definitely need to teach the students that at some point this year. That should be fun.

In another class, we had a small little competition where two students cried because their team was losing or because they got the answer wrong. That never feels good to see students cry like that, but it usually takes less than a minute to calm them done, which is good. And overall the class knows their classroom objects, which is good, we will be moving onto the next unit soon, I think. Also, since we talked about loose teeth yesterday, let's revisit that subject... A girl today was bleeding from wiggling her tooth..sooo gross. Gah! I told her to stop messing with it. She kind of did which is good. I am almost positive that she will lose that tooth tonight. I sure hope she doesn't anyway, because I do not want to see her pull it tomorrow. Ew, I get shivers down my back just thinking about it. I never knew I even had a problem with it until now. Haha.

After school, my day wasn't over, I had two private lessons and by two, I mean four, because I meet with four different people. The first one is an hour with a twelve year old girl and then a half hour with her mother. Today, I helped the girl do her Social Science homework and oh boy did I have to relearn stuff about plate tectonics, the earth's layers, the continental shelf, etc. She has a test next week, but she already knew her stuff really well, so she has nothing to worry about. I can tell that she is a fantastic student. Also, I asked her if she would be interested in reading an English book and she said yes. So I will be bringing those books next week to the lessons. After her, I met with her mother for a half hour. She is only in her second year of learning English because she took French when she was in school. She has a lot of room for improvement and I'm excited to work with her also. Today, we just talked about her personal life and did a small role play as if she were shopping in a store. Next up, was meeting with the first girl's classmate/friend and her younger sister. I met with the younger sister first. She is very shy so it's hard to come up with things to do for an hour, but I had her draw some things, we practiced colors, shapes, time, and played a little game to get her up and moving. But, I'll tell you it's tough. Then, it was the older one's turn. We started out with her English homework, which consisted of five questions that she had answered in under two minutes. Haha. That was easy. Then, I told her about the books that I had in English and she said her mom had gotten her a book to read with me, which I thought was great! So she read the first several pages to me. The book is The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips. I have heard of the book, but never read it, so I'm excited to read it along with her. Her pronunciation is fantastic and she actually comprehended a lot of the story. There were words here and there that she asked about like clutched, shivered, aisleechoed, tightly, but those were easily explained. I asked her some follow-up questions about what she had just read and she did great! Then it was back to plate tectonics and such to help her study for the exam as well. Luckily, I had already had my review a couple hours before, so I was prepared to help her study as well.

After all of my lessons, I road the train home and made a small dinner. I missed the majority of El Hormiguero, which is too bad, but it's okay, because I had things to do anyway, like write this blog. Also, when I came home, one of my roommates asked me if I thought the fridge was warm...I definitely think it is, which can only mean the worse..that it is broken. dun dun dunnnn My roommate is going to call our landlord tomorrow and hopefully we will figure out what the problem is. The freezer is functioning, but the fridge is not, it is strange. Luckily, as I said in a recent blog, I'm holding out on going shopping until this weekend, so I don't have too too much stuff in the fridge that can go bad. The only things in the fridge that could go bad of my stuff is some lunch meat and a pack of lemon yogurt that I didn't like in the first place. The rest does not really need to be refrigerated, which is good.

Anyway, I can tell that I am getting tired when I am rambling about the contents of my possibly broken fridge, so it's time for bed. Have a good night. Hasta mañana.

No comments:

Post a Comment