Tuesday, October 22, 2013

El mayordomo

Today was a really good day. I started out the day by helping children learn English, I got my first piece of mail, and I went to the movies, which I love!

Today in my classes we practiced more classroom objects, they are really getting a hang of it and now they are starting to be able to connect the word with the object, which is great! They are reading! One class was just being introduced to the concept of "my" and "your." For example, "It's my pencil" or "It's your pencil." You could tell that they weren't quite understanding it yet, but they'll get it with time. I love watching the progress they make. We also are still working on colors, but they have those in the bag, but they are still practicing reading them. They are also working on places in the school (dining room, gym, playground) and subjects (science, language, maths--yep, the British say maths..). It's so great! Soon we will be working on shapes, body parts, and whatever else is in the next units for English and Science. I also had a kindergarten class today, where I taught them the song, "I'm a nut." They are learning fall words like pumpkin, leaves, acorn, etc. So I taught them what I think of as a fall-y song. I'm sure not all of you know the song, but it's fun and cute. The kindergartners had a good handle on the tongue clicking and the lyrics "I'm a nut," however the rest of the words were kind of jumble, but that's okay. I'll work on it more with them next week.

After school, I took the train home. By the way, I started my book in Spanish and so far so good. I understand quite a bit of it, which is good. It's means that I didn't pick out an advanced book that I would give up on easily. Anyway, once I arrived home, I had the pleasant surprise of having my first piece of mail from my grandma and grandpa! It was a Halloween card, which is fitting because it's coming up very soon! My grandma asked in the card if they celebrate Halloween here and since I know she reads this habitually, I will go ahead and halfway answer the question now. Yes, they do kind of celebrate Halloween here. They only celebrate it because it is celebrated in the U.S. We will have a party type deal at school, but they don't dress up at school or anything, but they might go trick-or-treating, but I'll get back to you on that one.

Pretty soon after I got home, I left with Karin to go and get in line at the movie theater for the Fiesta del Cine that is going on. I talked to a teacher today and his mom waited in line for two hours yesterday to get into the theater. It was funny because he was saying people in Spain go crazy when there are deals and things are cheap and I responded with "Have you heard of Black Friday?" Haha, I'm pretty sure all people go crazy for deals. Here's a news clip about the lines. Sorry, it's in Spanish...
Anyway, Karin and I arrived about an hour and a half before the movie started and the line only took about a half hour, so we chilled at the theater for about 45 minutes waiting to go in. We chose to go see El Mayordomo, also known as The Butler and it was really good! I really liked it and understood everything! I really enjoy knowing that I can understand a whole movie in Spanish. I wish I could go back to high school (just for a second..no more) and remember what it feels like to not understand a word when the teacher pops in a movie in Spanish. I remember my classes whining when we couldn't have subtitles or when it was in Spanish instead of English. Haha, we were babies. That's what I get to look forward to as a teacher. :P Anyway, back to the movie, it was really good and I kind of want to read more up on the true story of the whole thing. If you haven't even heard of the movie, watch the trailer here. Also, although I really liked it in Spanish; after watching the trailer, I feel like I would really really enjoy it in English.

Well, I'm glad that Karin and I got to go to a cheap and fantastic movie and I arrive home just in time for my stomach to be growling and for El Hormiguero to be on. It was a great ending to a great day and now I am going to have a great night's sleep. Hope all of you readers are well and have a great day/night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment