Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gypsy Child Thieves

So, today was my first day back to school in four days and luckily, Tuesday is one of my favorite days.
I get to see the class that I really enjoy twice. The class starts with telling the date, weather, and season. It's a good routine the the students more or less have everything down. The weather gives them some problems here and there, but they have a whole year to get it down. The activity for today was watching a short clip that involved the colors and then there was an activity in their book that went along with it. It was cute and they got everything done. Also, on a sidenote, I have decided that loose teeth are gross. Haha. I saw a student throw up on the ground and for some reason, I found that less disgusting than having three students come up to me and wiggle their teeth in my face. ekk. Anyway, the next class went well also. The students in this class were also working on colors and they got to match colored stickers with the name of the color. It's getting to be difficult for them though because their is a lot of writing in their book and they can't even read in Spanish yet. Also, have I mentioned that all the writing is in cursive. Well, not all..just the lowercase letters and the capital letters are print. And the students only know how to write in capital letters. I wish I could remember when I learned to read and write. Mom? Dad? What age was it?

After those two classes, I had the highly anticipated breakfast. I love it every single day, even if it's only something small. Today, I was definitely looking forward to it, because I am trying not to go grocery shopping until this weekend, so I had little for breakfast and little packed for lunch. So the small extra snacks are life savers. :) After breakfast it was on to another class where the students were cutting, pasting, and coloring this numbers activity. There is a girl in the class that is really slow at all of thee above and I don't think it's because she has trouble with it, I think it's because she wants everything so perfect. I watch her intently cut on the line, paste the piece of paper so that it neatly fits inside of the square, and color inside the lines. It's hard to rush her and I imagine that I was somewhat like that with arts and crafts when I was little. :)

Anyway, next was a short meeting with our principal about our health insurance and about the teacher's class that I will be starting this Friday. I'm actually really excited to teach the adult class. It should be an interesting learning experience. We ate lunch and then I was in a kindergarten class for my last class of the day. I practiced some fall words in English with them, then red Little Red Riding Hood to them. I read it in English and then their teacher read it in Spanish. After listening to the classroom teacher read it, I realized that I need to practice my storytelling, but I think I did an okay job still. After I read it in English first, she asked what they understood and this adorable little boy said he didn't understand a word, which isn't entirely true, but it made me laugh. This is the same boy from last week that said something along the lines of, "Oh no, she doesn't understand anything," talking about me. Haha. And it's the same boy from today who I spent a few minutes trying to tell him that his octopus needed an 8th leg. :) He cracks me up and puts a smile on my face.

This was my last class of the day and I headed home after. Once home, I started watching a documentary that I heard about earlier today called Gypsy Child Thieves. It's about the gypsies in Italy and Spain that go around robbing people. I have actually been warned about them several times already, but it was interesting to watch the documentary. If you have any interest in sitting down for an hour to watch it, click here. I was going to say something else here, but I don't want to jinx myself. Anyway, I also got the chance to skype my boyfriend for awhile and avoided going on a run today. Haha.

After all that, I had an early dinner (and by early, I mean 8 p.m.) and I sat down to read Shiloh. I didn't stop until I was finished. Well, that's a lie, I took a small break to watch El Hormiguero, but then it was back to reading. I have two lessons tomorrow, so I can hand out Shiloh and Because of Winn-Dixie, but I haven't decided if I want to yet. I want them to get somewhat of a choice and since I haven't read Bridge to Terabithia yet, I'm not ready to hand it out, but we'll see what happens. Also, I might have already said this in a post, but Shiloh is going to be a challenging book just because of all of the...let's call it "country talk." I don't know what to refer to it as, but proper English is not used throughout the book. Anyway, it is time for bed, I might read a chapter or two of the next book, but maybe not. I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. I'm anticipating being hungry all day and probably not getting a blog in, but I hope the opposite of those things happen. :) Have a good night! Dulces sueños.



No comments:

Post a Comment