Friday, October 11, 2013

El juernes

Hey everybody, once again I'm sorry I didn't blog yesterday. Probably won't get to today's either, but oh well. Anyway, yesterday was a good day! I ended up on the same train as another teacher that I work with, but we didn't know it until we got off. We started walking to the school together, when again, another teacher picked us both up and bought us the rest of the way to school. I had a full day of classes! The classes are still both good and bad and the fact that it was "juernes" today made it worse, I think. What is "juernes," you ask? Well, it is a mixture of jueves (Thursday) and viernes (Friday). Today (Friday), there is no school because it is the Saint's Day of the town. So yesterday was Thursday, but really it was Friday..therefore, it was "juernes." And the students were extra...let's say..active. I think some of my favorite classes are the kindergarten ones. They are a little rambunctious at times, but I just get to sit there and play with them and I love seeing their wheels spinning when I'm speaking English to them. It's really cool to see that they understand what your saying, even if you have to make a motion, sound, drawing, etc. Also, there was a parent meeting at school today. Julia (the other auxiliar) and I did not stay for the meeting, but we were briefly introduced to the parents so that they knew who we were. Apparently in the meeting, a parent complained about the discipline system that the school has and I could tell it affected the teacher who was the target, but I hope she realizes that the school is not a jungle and that it was one parent out of many complaining. I'm telling you this because sometimes the class is so crazy I just want to take control, but since I'm not the classroom teacher, I don't think that it is in my job description. Plus, I know it's not in my job description to deal with parents, so getting involved in discipline is a grey area, but seriously, the first graders are terrors sometimes.

Anyway, after school I met up with another family for private lessons. This lesson is for two brothers, Victor (12) and Jorge (9) and they are both great kids. Victor is especially good at English and he did most of the talking, as it is a conversational class. He seriously was the one asking questions and just talking about whatever and I was sitting there correcting is very few mistakes, answering his questions, and thinking "Am I really getting paid for this?" It was great! And I also decided that I need to start watching soccer and The Simpsons so that we don't run out of things to talk about. The Simpsons is a really big show here. After this lesson, I walked to another lesson that I had with a 12-year-old named Sofia. She was great, too, and I had a lot of fun talking with her. She has a pretty good grasp on English and I'm excited to work with her more.

After both lessons, I took the train back to my apartment then I made dinner quickly and headed out to an event that was put on for auxiliares in Madrid. The event was put on by a school to learn Spanish and they put in on to help us new auxiliares, but also to talk us into taking Spanish classes at their school. They had a raffle that included a free month of classes, but I didn't win anything. :( However, they did give us this awesome booklet full of activities, games, and resources to do with our students! And they gave us a free coffee at an English bar/bookstore here in Madrid. I don't like coffee, but I still plan on checking out the bookstore. After the event, I went home and tried figuring things out for today. Stay tuned to find out what I did today. I'll give you a hint..it involves not being in Madrid. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment