Monday, October 14, 2013

Gracias a Winn-Dixie

Yesterday (Sunday), I slept in..a lot. I think I woke up at 11:30, but didn't roll out of bed until noonish. I ate "breakfast" and was told by my roommate's boyfriend that I was eating an "American" breakfast because I had eggs and toast. Breakfast here usually consists of coffee and some sort of bread and that's it. Whereas in the U.S., we are known for eating breakfasts with eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, etc. Anyway, I finally left the house at a little after 1 p.m. and went on a 4-mile run with Karin and Stephanie. :) It was a really good run and I was happy that I could still run that much. I did my first road race this past June and it was 4-miles, so I was really happy to know that I was still capable of running that.

After my run, I went home and hung out for a little bit, did some laundry, etc. Then Stephanie, Karin, and I met up again to go to a bookstore called J & J Books and Coffee. It is a bookstore/coffee shop/bar near the center of Madrid. I thought that they were known for having a lot of English books, but come to find out all the books are in English. Which isn't really what I was looking for, I wanted to find a Spanish book to read for myself. However, I did come out with three books for some of the students that I am tutoring. I figured it might challenge them and it would give us something to talk about. I chose the books Because of Winn Dixie, Shiloh, and Bridge to Terabithia. I chose all of these books because I remember reading them when I was little (with the exception of Bridge to Terabithia) and I know they all have movies. So my students can watch them after reading the books. Karin and I had a coupon for free coffee from the event we went to on Friday, but neither of us like coffee so luckily they gave us tea instead. :) So we sat down and drank our tea and looked at our new purchases. We all bought at least one book. We then headed home, made ourselves dinner separately, then met back at Karin's house to edit a picture from the museum in Toledo and to finish watching The Pianist. It was a good movie, but it didn't blow me away. Possibly because we didn't completely pay attention and maybe because we split up watching it. However, it was still good, don't get me wrong.

Also, I spent the night at Karin's reading Because of Winn-Dixie and I finished it! All 182 pages! Of course, it is a short book, but I was pretty proud of myself. I want to read all three before I hand them out to the students, so I can help them out more because the plot and level of the books will be fresh in my mind. So, one book down, two to go. Think I can finish all three of them by Thursday?! I don't think so, I might have to wait until next week to hand them out. Anyway, I went home and went to bed! And that's that. Hope all of you had fantastic weekends. I know I did. And I don't work Mondays so..four day weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment