Saturday, October 8, 2011

Suero

Okay, so I slept in again today, but I woke up not feeling well. :(  I started not feel well last night and I thought it would just pass over night, but I was wrong.  Apparently, when it starts getting warmer here in Lima, mayonnaise is a bad idea...lesson learned.  I was just going to relax all day and do nothing so that I would get better, but then my mom asked me to lunch with her daughter and grandchildern, so then I had to tell her I wasn't feeling well.  Well, then she took the mom role and went out and bought suero and soda crackers.
Soda crackers and suero are apparently the two things that help you through sickness.  Suero is this drink that is filled with minerals and electrolytes.  The kind I have is strawberry-flavored.  It definitely is not the worst thing in the world, but there is a lot of it and I am pretty much required to drink it all!  That's a lot to drink!  I don't know if I can drink all of that, but I'm going to try!  I still haven't finished the first bottle.
Anyway, back to my story, I still wasn't feeling too great, but I decided to tough it out and go to lunch with the family.  We went to a club down by the beach that my host mom and host sister both belong to.  We went to this nicer restaurant and unfortunately, I had to sit there and eat soda crackers and drink suero and sprite, while everyone else had food.  I had to watch them all eat canchitas and tres leches.  I wanted all of that soo bad, but I couldn't eat anything...not because I didn't want to, I definitely could have and I would have been fine, but my host mom pretty much told me, "No, you can't eat anything."  I know she's just looking out for me, but now I'm sitting here starving still sipping on my suero and eating crackers.  Luckily, she's making me soup for tonight, so I'll have something a little more heartier.  However, she did already inform me that for breakfast tomorrow, I get tea, crackers, and more suero! yay...  Again, I know she's just looking out for me, but I'm fine. :)  Apparently, the past girls who have stayed with her have gotten VERY ill before, so I think she's just making sure that I'm not that bad, but I told her I was strong.  I mean, I must be, it's been over two months and this is the first time that I haven't felt well and it hasn't even been that bad.
Well, besides me talking about not feeling well, also at the club, we went and sat on the beach and watched her grandson play in the sand.  Sorry, I forgot my camera, but I'll remember to bring it next time!  Her grandchildren are sooo cute.  Anyway, we spent awhile there and then headed out.  My mom and I then made a quick run to the store so she could buy the ingredients for the soup.  While there, I saw Halloween candy and decorations, which made me happy. :)  Also, at the store, they were giving out samples of pineapple juice and another tropical juice and my host mom told me I couldn't have that either!  It was just a small amount, but apparently she doesn't want me taking my chances. :(
Anyway, I am feeling a little better now.  Now I can't tell if my stomach still hurts or if it's just because I'm really hungry.  Tonight, is the birthday celebration of a girl in our program.  I don't really know the exact plans yet, but I'm excited for it.  Of course, my host mom already told me to bring my crackers and suero in a bag so that I have it with me.  Shhh..don't tell my host mom this, but I'm telling you right now, if there's cake, I'm eating it!!!
Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed your Saturday!  Mine wasn't the greatest, but I still had a good time!  Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment