Wednesday, October 12, 2011

1er grado

Okay, so three things happened today that made me feel like I was in 1st grade again and they were awesome!  I'll get to them as I tell you about my day, but I will tell you right now that each event involves my dear friend, Tonisha.

Anyway, I had Peruvian Social Reality this morning and again we discussed the migration to Lima.  I can't really think of anything exciting that happened in that class except 1st grade reminder #1.  Okay, here it is...Tonisha colored me two pictures and gave them to me. :)  They're so cute.  They are of penguins and one of them is a penguin with a tu-tu.  I think she definitely knows me.  I'm probably going to keep it forever. :)  Anyway, after this class I had Living and Learning.  Today, we worked on a method called DIE (Describe, Interpret, Evaluate).  We had to look at photos and do all of these three steps.  Describe is when you merely look at the picture and list off things in an objective manner.  For example, one picture we looked at was a man standing in a room with a uniform on and there were boys sitting in desks.  I just described the picture objectively.  Now, our interpretation was that the uniform was a military uniform and he was a professor at a military school.  Then, an evaluation has weight and feelings behind it, so it could be something like, I don't agree with military schools, they are too strict and they brainwash, etc. (That's just an example).  Anyway, so we did this for several pictures and we were correct with our interpretations for some, but for others we weren't.  The lesson here was to not make judgments so quickly.  Being in another country, we have to remember that we come from different backgrounds so we may interpret something based on something similar that we already know from our own culture, but, in reality, because this is a different culture, our interpretations could be wrong.  So pretty much, we're supposed to hold our initial judgments/interpretations and think a little harder about some things.

Anyway, after class, I had lunch.  I wasn't really looking forward to my lunch because I had rice and beans, which are both two of my not favorite things, but I was obviously still going to eat them.  Well, Tonisha was complaining about her lunch, too, so this is where 1st grade reminder #2 comes in.  We definitely switched lunches.  It was awesome and my new lunch was really good.  I had chaufa (fried rice).  Yes, I realize it's still rice, but it's not white rice, it's better.  And yes, I realize that some of you may think this was an unfair trade, but crazy Tonisha actually loves rice and beans, so it was perfect for her.  Anyway, it was really cute that we switched lunches and I'm pretty sure that we reached a whole new level of friendship because of it. :)

After lunch, I had Spanish and we learned some more conjunctions today.  I feel like I learned more about English today than I did Spanish.  We practiced using certain conjunctions in Spanish like sin embargo (however), desde (since), and por lo tanto (therefore).  Now all of those are pretty simple to use, but then we got into además (furthermore), por otra parte (moreover), and en la medida que (insofar) and I got lost!!  I don't even use those words in English!  Insofar?!!  What the heck is that?  It's pretty bad when I'm asking my professor to give me an example in English because I don't understand.  Anyway, long story short, I learned some English in Spanish class today. :)

Next on the list, Etnografía Amazónica and 1st grade reminder #3.  Tonisha and I sat in class eating chocolate cake and giggling.  We were definitely like little 1st graders eating chocolate cake and randomly smiling when nothing funny was happening in class. :)  It's okay though, I don't think that we disrupted class. :)  Anyway, Tonisha also got me thinking and she's totally right...we've learned more about the ethnographers that have studied the Amazon than we have about the actual people and culture in the Amazon.  Of course, we talked about ethnographers again today.  I hope that changes soon, because come to think about it, the only day that I actually enjoyed the class was when we talked about the Rubber boom in the Amazon, so clearly I'm more interested in the people and culture.

Anyway, that's been my day besides the fact that I read more, too.  I have ten pages left in this book and I'm going to check out the Spanish one tomorrow.  Wish me luck on reading that one. :)  Hopefully, I enjoy reading that book as much as I have this one.  Well, I'm going to get to reading these last ten pages.  I hope you all had wonderful days and nights!  Dulces sueños!

No comments:

Post a Comment