Monday, October 3, 2011

Pushing boundaries.

So today was pretty interesting.  My alarm didn't go off.  And no this was not my fault.  I set it.  I didn't push snooze, I didn't turn it off, etc.  It simply just didn't go off.  I think the battery is startying to die, but I'm not for sure.  I have set an alarm on my cell phone for tonight just in case.  Anyway, I woke up when my first class was supposed to be starting, so obviously I missed that.  When I got to the university the class was ending, so I caught all my classmates on their way out and asked them what they talked about.  They were talking about race again and they said the class was kind of sad.  I'm upset that I missed it.  They went through quotes that were said in the time during this past presidential election.  Apparently most of the quotes were vicious thoughts of what people feel towards the people that live in the sierra.  Now, obviously, I wasn't there for class, but I can say I do know that people from Lima and people from the sierra have conflicting views.

Anyway, on to a lighter topic.  Today, four other girls and I had Mochas with Marion.  This consisted of drinking coffee (well, I chose orange juice) and talking with one of our directors, Marion, about our classes, homestays, problems, etc.  It went pretty well and was helpful.  I expressed my concern for meeting Peruvian friends and practicing Spanish and she pretty much put a fire under our butts.  She explained that we only have two months left so we should start doing what we've been wanting to do.  For example, talking to that person in your class, asking that person to lunch, etc.  Anyway, I plan on asking some girls in my ballet class to get lunch sometime or something.  I'm telling you this because I can let myself down with this, but I can't let you down.  Therefore, now I have to do it, so that I can tell all of you that I did it!  Tomorrow, I plan on asking some girls to coffee, lunch, or at least for their Facebooks, so that I can contact them.

Anyway, then I went to my Spanish class, we got our midterms back and I am quite happy with my grade. :)  Other than that, we really didn't do anything in my class and since I didn't have Ethnography, Tonisha and I left the university early.  When we got back to Miraflores, we went to SuizaLab to get her yellow fever vaccination and then we walked through Parque Kennedy to Café Z.  We got a little food: her- manjarblanco pancakes (yum!) and me- warm apple pie and ice cream (again, yum!)  We planned on doing homework, but I think we did more talking (some in Spanish), then homework, although I did get some reading done.

Okay so now I have three things to tell you that I just forgot to tell you in those last two paragraphs...

1.  On the micro this morning, a girl got on and played her acoustic guitar and sang.  She did soo well so I gave her some money.  Well, not only did she do well, but I also knew that I couldn't ask her what the song was called without giving her money.  So, of course, I asked her and she told me...and luckily, I found it.  Yay!
2.  Remember, my library mishap where I am suspended from the library...well, Tonisha had a genius idea.  "Why don't I check out your book for you?"  Duh!!  I have such a smart friend!  So that's how I was able to "read" at Café Z, because Tonisha checked the books out for me.  Thanks, Tonisha!

3.  On the micro back to Miraflores, Tonisha and I both had conversations with strangers!!  We didn't miss out on the opportunity to engage in conversation and practice Spanish!  We were both talking to each other about places to visit and Arequipa is a possibility on our list, but we both were unsure of what's there.  So again, genius Tonisha said, "Why don't we ask?"  She turned to the person next to her and I turned to the person next to me and we both asked what was in Arequipa.  It was the best feeling in the world and we definitely high fived each other after the micro ride was over.  It wasn't so bad afterall.  I should probably do stuff like that more often, especially considering I only have two more months left!

Anyway, tonight after rocking at Spanish on the micro and after chatting doing homework at Café Z, Tonisha and I went to Metro (grocery store) and bought tickets to a theatre/dance event that's happening this weekend.  Just so you understand, if I ever talk about buying tickets at a grocery store it's because the grocery stores (Metro, Wong, and others, I'm sure) have places called Teleticket, where you can buy tickets to different events in Lima.  Okay, so we bought these tickets to Bochorno (that's what the show is called) and I'm really excited because it is a show choreographed by the head of the Dance school at PUCP.  I've actually met the woman, so I'm very excited to see her choreography, too!!

After that, I came home and didn't really do much of anything.  My mom sounds a lot better and feels, so we chatted a little.  And as of right now, her bedroom is in another area of the house because her floors are getting redone so that was funny to see when I got home.  Other than that I skyped a few people (you know who you are :P) and I wasted my time on the internet.  I actually found two really good quotes though, here they are:
I obviously like this one because I am traveling right now and I just think that it meshed nicely with this blog.  :)

This one is the perfect quote for studying abroad or life in general, but especially, studying abroad.  It's really important to do something everyday that scares you, whether it be talking to a stranger on the micro or asking a girl from your ballet class to lunch.  You really have to push yourself and test your boundaries.  Sometimes doing the things that scare you can improve your life and help you to learn.  Don't worry, Mom and Dad, I won't push my boundaries too far, but just enough to help me succeed here. :)  I love you all and hope that you all have beautiful days tomorrow!  Buenas noches!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment