Thursday, October 27, 2011

Jueves en Letras

Okay, so I forgot to tell you something from Peruvian Social Reality yesterday.  It's really not that important, but I just found it very interesting.  Did you know that Peru is the biggest exporter of asparagus?  Yep, I didn't either, isn't that interesting though.  Who knew?  Okay, that's it, see told you it wasn't important.

Anyway, on to today, I had Ballet and again the class was very small, but everything still went great.  We didn't have barres today for some reason so we did everything in the center (meaning without a barre), which is also more challenging because you have nothing to hold on to.  It went better than I expected though.  We also did a lot of jumping again today.  I thought I was going to die when I was doing it.  My legs are going to be sore tomorrow.  Anyway, for some reason we got out early today by like a half hour and I'm actually kind of happy that we did because there's usually always things going on on Thursdays at the university and today I got to participate in them.  Today, they were celebrating Criolla music.  They had a grill out and were making anticuchos (cow heart kabobs), so I bought those and ate them for lunch and they also had a band and dancers.  Here's a short video of the band and a couple dancing the Marinera (National dance of Perú)...
I also got to witness a small scale procession for Señor de los Milagros.  Okay, now I'll explain what that is.  Señor de los Milagros is a mural that was/is painted on the wall of the Santuario de Las Nazarenas (a church) here in Lima and in 1655 there was an earthquake that destroyed many things except for the wall that the mural was painted on.  After that, I guess you could say it became sacred.  Anyway, in the month of October many people come to see the processions and show their faith.  At Católica today they did a mini-procession, but tomorrow I plan on attending one of the biggest ones of this month.  I'm pretty excited to see it.  I actually learned about the processions that there are in Spain in my Spanish culture class year and these seem to be the same.  There are different ways that people can participate in the procession.  They can carry the incense, they can carry the float (and float is an understatement: it's very heavy), there is a captain that yells the calls for the people carrying, there's a band, or one can simply be a spectator.  So, anyway that's what that's about. :)  Also, another little fun fact.  The processions for Señor de los Milagros are the largest in Latin America and among the largest of the world. :)

Today was Deporte y Vida day also.  We did the usual things.  I helped kids with their homework while occasionally serving as a jungle gym as well. :)  One girl gave me a painting of a heart with her name and mine with was really cute. :)  Other than that nothing too exciting happened (besides being called Andreita :)).  I was forced to remember triganometry again today.  Remember sine, cosine, tangent, etc.  Yeah, I didn't either.  Well, I did a little because there's the whole SOHCAHTOA thing, if you know what that is, but other than that I pretty much told the kid he was on his own...not really, but he definitely had it figured out more than I did.

Once, I got home I dedicated most of my time to figuring out next semester and I was actually quite productive.  I now have my class schedule figured out.  It's going to be an interesting semester taking my Spanish Senior Thesis class and Human Anatomy at the same time, but I'm tough, I'll get through it with some complaining along the way.  I also got registered for a written Spanish and telephone test that I have to take when I return along with a few other things I had to do concerning Carthage, like figure out my dance life for next semester and writing a thank you letter for a scholarship I received.  So I'd say tonight, although boring, went pretty well.  I'm excited for the procession tomorrow (it starts at 6:30 a.m., but I'm not going until about 10 a.m. or later).  Yes, that means that it does last THAT long!  Apparently, it can last until the late afternoon, which I remember talking about in my class last year, but I just can't imagine it.  Also, on Saturday, I leave for Lunahuana with the CIEE program until Sunday, which I'm also excited for.  I heard there are bugs though, so I'm not so excited for those after my selva trip. :)

Anyway, I hope you all had an amazing Thursday!  I will talk to you tomorrow.  Dulces sueños!

1 comment: