Monday, October 10, 2011

Fried chicken

So I had another good day today.  All my classes were good and interesting!  In Peruvian Social Reality, we learned about Lima before it was actually Lima (like it is today).  It used to be just the central part of Lima and it was walled in.  Then as the city grew the people tore down the wall and expanded towards the ocean.  We also talked about the different districts of Lima (there are 43 of them!) and how we only know a limited amount of them and the ones that we are familiar with are all middle class districts, give or take a few.  Plus, it was interesting to see pictures of the different parts of Lima and how the buildings and houses differ.  I also learned that the second largest cementary in the world is right here in Lima.  The pictures of that were crazy, too.  Here, I'll show you one.
In Spanish class, we learned some more prepositions, but besides the learning part we had some good laughs in the class.  For example, our professor used the phrase "What are they?  Fried chicken?," when he meant to say "What are they?  Chopped liver?"  It was hilarious!  The next example will probably be something you won't understand, but I'm writing it because I want to remember it.  Anyway, it was basically a funny comparison between golpe de estados (coup d'etats) and snow days...you really had to be there, sorry.

Next, I had Etnografía Amazónica.  It was another three-hour Monday class, we have two more of those left.  It's actually quite hilarious, we have two hours of class, then a short break, then the last hour and usually a few people leave after the first two hours.  Well, today, after the break, over half the class left!  The room was pretty much empty.  The class usually has around 30 people in it and then after the break, there were less than ten. :)  I don't think the professor noticed though (just kidding).  Anyway, in the class today we talked about different ethnographers who have studied different aspects of the Amazon.

Anyway, today was a pretty boring school day as usual, but it was still good and I got lomo saltado for dinner!!!  Woo!  I love it soo much! :)  Well, I hope you had an amazing day and I will talk to you tomorrow!!  And sorry for the confusing Spanish blog, but I hope you enjoyed it.  I might do another one soon, if that is okay with all of you. :)  Buenas noches!

1 comment:

  1. are the graves in Peru above ground like they are in costa rica?!?! That is kind of what it looks like in that picture but I can't quite tell!?!?

    ReplyDelete