Saturday, November 23, 2013

In vs. On

Okay, so I got up yesterday and went to school. I had only two classes with the the students today and then the teachers' class. In the teachers' class today, we got started talking about school (like the difference between color vs. paint), which led to talking about daily routines, which led to talking about school, which led to talking about the prepositions "in" and "on." I got the question "Do you sit in a chair or on a chair?" My first answer was in; however, after some thinking, I realized that both could be used. You can sit "in" a chair or "on" a chair. Logically, I was trying to figure out why both are correct because really there are so many things that are either "on" or "in," but not both. For example, you sit on the floor, on a couch, on a bench, in a car, etc. but why is it that "in" a chair seems to be the most natural thing to say. Logically, you sit in a chair if it has arms, but a couch and bench has arms, too. And even if a chair didn't have arms, I think I would still say "I'm sitting in the chair." So pretty much, it came down to me saying they could use both, but I don't know why. And throw the British English wrench in there and then you have a mess. I'm just going to go ahead and assume that the British say "on," but I really have no idea. Anyway, after the very productive class, I went home and relaxed for quite awhile. I watched Glee and Grey's and avoided blogging about Valencia (again..whoops). Anyway, I also was looking more stuff up for Christmas vacation as well as Thanksgiving.

Stephanie, Karin, and I are hosting a Thanksgiving dinner for a bunch of people. We should have less than 20 people, but that's still a lot to get ready for, especially when none of us have really ever prepared a Thanksgiving dinner before. So last night we went to a shop called Taste of America to see what they had for a Thanksgiving feast. They had some bagged stuffing and gravy packets, which we would have gotten, but Stephanie's sister actually mailed her some so that wasn't necessary. They also had a 100 dollar turkey (no way were we buying that), and pumpkin pie filling (this we did get!). We also went to a bakery or two to see if they could cook our turkey for us (once we found one). When I was in Peru, a bakery cooked our turkey on Thanksgiving, but I thought it would be an odd question here to ask, but no one seemed to surprised by our question. Anyway, we went to two grocery stores to compare prices and to look for a turkey. We didn't find a turkey, but we found turkey fillets so we decided just to do those, so we'll go back on Friday and buy them (we're not having Thanksgiving until Saturday, since we're all working girls and have no time to prepare a Thanksgiving dinner for 20 on a weekday. But yea, we decided that instead of trying to find/buy a whole turkey and then figure out how to cook it, we would just buy turkey fillets. Obviously, that is not as festive, but it sure is a whole lot easier. Although I will say that I am still learning a whole heck of a lot about turkeys, but I still have no idea what to do with it. For example, I learned what "brining a turkey" is, but I have no idea if I should do it with the turkey fillets or not, and I don't know how to season them so that they taste Thanksgiving-y, if you know what I mean. Any suggestions or advice are welcome. :)

After going on our little Thanksgiving hunt, I came back to my place, made dinner, and hung out for a little bit. Then Karin and Stephanie joined me at my place and we watched the end of Over the Hedge and watched a rerun of La Voz on T.V. Also, Karin practiced doing Stephanie and I's hair because we went to see the Hunger Games, so we of course had to have our hair like Katniss Everdeen's! But I'll talk about that more in the next blog. Anyway, that was my day and as soon as the girls left, I was in bed and right to sleep. Now, I am probably going to bed tonight and I will still be behind by one blog. I will eventually catch up and will write about Valencia as well. Have a good night and for those of you in college, Happy Thanksgiving break! I'm jealous. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment