Thursday, December 26, 2013

La navidad española

Merry Christmas and Feliz Navidad! Although it still doesn't feel like Christmas, I had a great day with Lucia's family and I am thankful that they welcomed me into their family. But, it felt more like a regular party, than Christmas, but it was still a good time, just not the same.

I started out the morning earlier than I thought I would with going to bed so late, but im glad I didn't sleep in because I was able to get up and open presents with Lucia, her sister, and her mom. Like I have said before, January 6th is the big celebration here, meaning that Santa Claus doesn't bring mountain of gifts like he does in the U.S., but to be honest, I got more than I expected. I'm glad Santa got my change of address form. :) Anyway, what I got were all things that I was thinking about buying for myself anyway so it was perfect! I got an apron that looks like a flamenco dress, a red flower for my hair, a traditional red flamenco shawl, and my very own caganer. If you don't know what that last thing is, re-read this blog: http://awinbigler.blogspot.com.es/2013/12/el-caganer.html
Me with my Christmas gifts :)
After opening gifts, I took a shower and relaxed while waiting for the family to come in the afternoon. I write a blog and watched a show called Ahora Caiga, which is a game show where you have to answer questions and if you get it wrong then the trap door beneath you opens and your out of the game. I actually did a pretty good job with answering the questions, but I guess I should point out that todays episode was a kids' edition, but I was still proud. :)

Family members started showing up at around 2 p.m. and we ate at 3 p.m. Once again, the food was delicious. We had the typical shrimp (which I guess are technically prawns--don't know the difference) and ham for appetizers. I felt bad for saying that I didn't like either of those things, but I love the bread, haha. And the meal part was really good. We had what I would consider a pot roast and then there was also another type of meat with a mushroom sauce that was really good. :) Then, we sang some Christmas carols, a which involved singing, dancing, and instruments. I played the maraca.

Then, it was dessert time. There was turrón, which is extremely common during Christmas, but also another thing that I don't like. There was a German tart, which was delicious and mazapán, which I didn't like when I tried it in Toledo, but I loved the homemade one. :) Next on the list of things to do were set off firecrackers. Apparently, it's a pretty common thing to do during the Christmas season. I think I was outside for a total of 5 minutes before going back inside because one, explosives kind of scare me, two, they are too loud, and there, it was cold. So I ventured back inside before I got to see them explode an orange, but it's alright because I went inside and watched some of the family members song and dance more. I also got the chance to Skype my boyfriend and his family, which was fun and the week countdown to see my boyfriend starts tomorrow so I'm excited for that!

After more singing and dessert eating, the family members left and Lucia, her sister, and I cleaned up a little bit and then treated ourselves to playing Xbox Kinect Dance Central. It's kind of hard, but it was fun and it got my heart pumping and it was a good way to warm up my body. After that, I relaxed, wrote this blog and watched T.V. with my adopted family. I started to watch Oliver Twist, but I stopped so that I could skype my family. It was really nice to see all of them and I hope they didn't miss me too much this Christmas! I love you all! Merry Christmas!

After skyping them it was off to bed and now it is the 26th and I leave for Barcelona soon. I doubt I will be able to continue to blog, but check back occasionally, just in case! Have a good week! Happy Holidays! Felices Fiestas!

No comments:

Post a Comment