Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Barcelona

26 December 2013

Okay, so I have been gone from the blogging world for quite some time so bare with me as I try to catch up. I'm predicting it will take at least a week, possibly more to catch up on everything. Since I am writing these blog posts not on the day that the events happened, I will be dating the top of all of them so you know what happened each day. I don't expect you to read them all, because I obviously have to write three weeks worth of blogs and that is a lot. And I'm sure some of you are thinking, why write them at all? Which is true, I could just bunch everything together and sum everything up in a few words; however, this blog is not just a place to keep my friends and family updated, but it is more importantly a journal for me, so I personally would like to put the details down, even if they might not be all exciting for you. Hope you still enjoy and if anything, I would suggest that you at least look at the pictures. :)

The day after Christmas, I was off to Barcelona for the second leg of my trip. I packed and ate one last breakfast at Lucia's house. I chose to eat bread with extra virgen olive oil and sugar. Seriously, you guys should all try it, it's pretty tasty. Anyway, then Lucia's mom was nice enough to drive me to the airport and Lucia and her sister, Carmen, accompanied us as well. Once at the airport, it was pretty easy to do everything. I said goodbye to Lucia and her family and then went through security. Easiest security ever, well maybe not ever, Peru airport security was pretty simple, too. I got to the airport earlier than I had to, but I like being there earlier. I never want to have to feel rushed at an airport. I don't need that stress, haha. Better safe than sorry, right? Anyway, I sat in a main cafeteria area for quite awhile because they didn't put what gate number I should be at until about a half hour before boarding, which was a little strange, but I went straight to the gate and stood in line waiting to board. I really didn't understand why people were getting in line when they hadn't started boarding yet until I got on the plane and realized there were no assigned seats whatsoever. Well, unless you paid the extra money when purchasing your tickets to begin with, which I didn't. I flew RyanAir, which if you haven't heard of it, it's a budget airline and I mean budget as in the seats don't even lean back, which makes for a slightly sore neck, but that's okay. I survived the flight. It was only about an hour and a half, but I'm not really looking forward to my next flights with them, but hey, it's better than nothing and it's better than paying two or three times the price. RyanAir is making it financially possible to fly all of these places.

Once off the plane, I found the bus to get to my hostel and it was actually a really simple trip, so that's good. I finally got settled in the hostel, but then quickly left to go get some food at a small store down the street because I was starving and I needed food. So, of course, I bought some pasta (my favorite) and cooked it at the hostel and then just hung out for a little bit. By the way, this is one of the better hostels I have been in minus the fact that I am on the top bunk. I never realized that I cares about bunk beds until now, but yea, my future kids will not be allowed to have bunk beds. It's wayyy too much work to make them.

Anyway, after hanging out at the hostel for a little bit, I ventured out into Barcelona to walk down La Rambla, which is a popular touristy street in Barcelona. There's a pedestrian walk in the center and there are restaurants and souvenir shops and most importantly, ice cream stands running all along the street. I went on several souvenir shops and, one after another, I got bombarded with sales. They would say "Where are you from?..oh, the U.S...for you, this is 10 euro instead of 13" Ha, yea right, just for me. Aw, shucks, thanks! :P I wasn't sure if this was normal or if it was just since it was the day after Christmas, or St. Stevens Day, so I made sure to see if I could still get the deal in a few days. Ha. Although I continued getting these deals thrown in my face, I continued going into shops because I love just looking, even though each shop virtually has the same things. I didn't but anything though, because I thought it was dumb to buy something that represented a site that I hadn't even seen yet. I mean, I had only been in Barce for about there or so hours. Anyway, I continued to walk all the way to the water, where there was a shopping mall on a pier, which I entered for a little bit, then I walked back to the hostel, but not before getting some ice cream to ruin my dinner. :)
Christopher Columbus Monument
I had a tour guide tell me that the Eiffel Tower was
supposed to be at this spot, but the people of
Barcelona didn't want it. HA, joke is on them.
Bon Nadal = Merry Christmas (in Catalan)
Beautiful Christmas lights in Barcelona
It didn't really ruin my dinner, I are dinner when I got back to the hostel. I forgot how cool of an atmosphere a hostel can create. I was surrounded by and talking to many people from many different countries including, South Africa, Mexico, Argentina, France, Russia, U.K., and Brazil! How cool is that?! Anyway, after awhile I made the climb into the top bunk and fell asleep on a nice, warm, cozy bed. Barcelona Day One completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment