Friday, August 5, 2011

Races & Lady Gaga

Two things happened this morning that made me smile.  I hope they make you smile too!

1.  In the morning, I get on the elevator from the our 6th floor apartment and ride it down to the 1st floor.  The elevator door is opened by the doorman and I am greeted by him..now for the funny part...The split second after he opens the door of the elevator, I forget that we have a doorman again and I charge for the front door.  Then, I can feel him pretty much running behind me to get the front door too.  I quickly remember that he is the doorman so holding the door is his job so I immediately slow down and say "Lo siento" (sorry).  This has happened more than once so far and everytime it makes me smile. :)  I really need to stop racing the doorman.

2.  After I lost the race with the doorman, I walked to the paradero (bus stop).  There was a man standing there who appeared to be in his late 30s.  He had headphones in and they were loud so I could hear his music.  Guess what he was listening to?  (See Title for hint)  Yep, you're right he was listening to Lady Gaga's 'Alejandro.'  That definitely made me smile, it was just unexpected I guess.

Little things, like these, that make you smile are wonderful things to hold onto throughout the whole day.  Now, I didn't have a bad day at all by any means, but what if I had?!  Even if you're having the worst day in the world, please remember the little things that make you smile.  It may be your favorite song, your baby cousin, a picture of basset hounds running (look it up..I promise it will make you laugh), or even a race with the doorman, but please just remember to smile..and often!!  Smiling and laughter is contagious!!

Okay, I'm done being philosophical now.  Today class was pretty relaxed in the morning.  Our teacher showed us on the map where all the good discotecas (dance clubs) are.  I really like that he has taught us not only Spanish, but a lot about Lima, too!!!  In the afternoon, all we had to do was take an exam so we got out of class about an hour early and I've been home ever since just relaxing.  Of course on the way home I got to see another micro fight.  Those are always fun.  A lady was yelling at the driver for not stopping when she needed to.  I can't wait until I'm good enough at Spanish that I can fight with the driver or cobrador (hypothetically).

Now for my second Friday night in Lima, some of the other students and I are traveling to the district of Barranco to check out the discotecas.  I will let you know how it went tomorrow.  Buenos noches!

2 comments:

  1. You know how they have "Dance-offs" here in the states (well at least in the movies)? You should challenge the cobrador to a dance-off fight if you ever get into an argument.

    Make sure it ends up on youtube, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm glad you are having such a good time. I love reading your Blog.... grandma

    ReplyDelete