Thursday, January 30, 2014

Semana de la Paz

January 28, 2014

Okay, so today was a pretty good day. I got some more things accomplished, but not before school. I went to school and the students are just about to finish up the unit on family and in science they are starting to learn how animals move: fly, slither, walk, or swim. In the afternoon, I had a kindergarten class and this Thursday, the 30th of January, is apparently Peace Day, so the students watched a short video about peace. It was cute. For some reason it won't let me post it, maybe it's not available for you to watch, but here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LIP1r_QfFM Once I got home, I indulged in some good old U.S. American television and finished my blogging from Christmas break! Yay! Now, I am relaxing and about to watch El Hormiguero and check out for the night.

So I didn't really check out. I have been beginning to rework my education portfolio and résumé because I need to start applying to jobs in the U.S. for next year and I have hated my educational philosophy for awhile now and now, I finally feel ready to scrap it completely and start writing a new one. So I started doing that and I'm already much more happy with it.


January 29, 2014

Today was a crazy day at school. Well, not completely crazy, the morning went really well. One of my classes was excellent while we explained an animal project that they will be starting next week. They behaved so well and I was so happy with them. Also, in the other class, one boy missed class all last week. So I sat with him and helped him catch up on some work and then I gave him a sticker for doing so well and he was so happy after that. Also, after breakfast, the kindergarten class went well and the teacher read them a story for Peace Day tomorrow and then they colored some peace doves. A funny thing that happened in that I taught them how to say "peace" in English and that's funny because it sounds exactly like "pis" in Spanish which means "pee" so all the 5 year olds giggled about that.

Then, in the afternoon, it was complete chaos! I think something was put into the students' lunches. Seriously, they were off the wall and it seemed like all of the teachers were pretty stressed, too. Come to find out, since tomorrow is Peace Day, the students aren't having real classes, so the teachers were trying to get everything finished today for the week, plus the students are probably aware of that, too, so it was just a bunch of emotions packed into one room.

After school, I had only a few of my private lessons, because three of the girls that I tutor are in the Pyrenees mountains this week skiing with their school. So I only had two hours worth of classes. I found out that one of the girls I tutor for collects stickers. She showed me her book of stickers and lucky for her, I brought a lot of stickers with me from the U.S. So I showed her my stickers and told her she could choose one. Ha, I know what a cruel thing to only give her one, but I told her that I would give her one every week. So that is something that she can look forward to.

Once I got home, I relaxed and worked on this blog and made dinner. Now it's time to go and relax/get some stuff done.


January 30, 2014

Today was Peace Day at school, so there were no actual classes, which is kind of boring for me once in awhile, but it turned out okay. I spent the first class listening to a story about a cloud that was blowing wind at a kite, but then the cloud started blowing too hard and didn't listen when the kite told the cloud to stop. So, the kite got hurt and then a butterfly came along and solved everything. The students talked about what peace was and what it looks like inside and outside of the school. Then, in my next class, we took the class to the computer room to show them the video that I posted above. Something really exciting (for me) happened while we were there, too. Since we were watching the video on the Promenthean Board, after the video was over, a student asked if they could play the game with categorizing oviparous and viviparous animals that we played with them last week. It was really exciting to see them want to play and do some academic learning today. :) Anyway, then it was breakfast time and I know that this doesn't seem like a big deal to you, but it was to me...they had strawberries at breakfast today! I have been thinking about buying strawberries for the last couple of weeks because they look so delicious in the store and today the school had them. They were yummy. After breakfast, we took another class to watch the Tulilem video and had another discussion about peace and then it was time for lunch.

After lunch, I had a kindergarten class where I helped some students build a tower, taught them some names of animals, taught them how to say "Peace" (got some giggles again), and played with Play-doh. Then, I went to the last class of the day and the students were instructed to draw a picture of anything they wanted to as long as it had to do with peace. So, of course, I decided to join them and draw/color a picture as well. This was my picture and the students were amazed!
I mean, I'm pretty proud of it myself, but I hate the monkey, haha. Also, the reason there are animals is because those are the names of all of the classes. Anyway, after school I had a private lesson and then headed home. I packed for Lisbon and now I'm just wanting for the time to leave. We are leaving tonight and have an overnight bus to Lisbon. We will be there for a few days and then have an overnight bus back. Wish us luck for sleeping on a bus. I miss the buses in Peru. They were so nice and the seats reclined and movies were played and they fed us on long bus rides. They were awesome. I miss that. I don't think this bus is going to be like that. It's going to be a normal tour bus and it might be miserable, but at least it's cheap and at least we won't be wasting daylight on traveling. :) I will let you know how the weekend goes on Sunday! :) Have a great weekend! Byeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment