Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Madrid con Tim

January 6, 2014

On our first full day back in Madrid, Tim and I slept in and then made some delicious eggs. And then, I took Tim to Madrid Río, which is the park that is close to my house and by the river. We walked around for a little bit and the weather was beautiful, which was great. Then, I took Tim to another park nearby, Parque de Enrique Tierno Galván. Karin and I found this park the very first week we were here when we were searching for apartments. The first second I saw the park, it reminded me of Tim, because the bridge has a lot of handholds for climbing and Tim loves climbing. So, I took him there and he attempted to climb a little. :) I would show you pictures, but they are on Tim's camera. So if you want to see them and you know him, then badger Tim for the pictures. ;)

After walking around, we went home and relaxed and made lunch together. We relaxed while eating lunch and watched the movie, Phonebooth. I'm not sure why we chose that movie, but it was good. Then, we just spent the night at Stephanie's apartment hanging out and talking. It was a pretty chill day, but I think it was a good first day for Tim in Madrid. I think? Ask him. :)


January 7, 2014

For the second day in Madrid, we did a lot of walking again. We walked all the way from my house to Plaza de España, which is probably about a 5k. While walking there, I took him through Lavapiés, Sol (Madrid's center), and Plaza Mayor. I also showed him the Royal Palace and Templo de Debod (the Egyptian temple here), and we sat for a really long time in the park and watched these green birds take a bath in a dirty puddle. I think you had to be there, but we laughed for a long time watching them because we were (mostly Tim was) commentating on the actions of the birds and dubbing their tweets with some funny things. Again, I'm sure you had to be there, but I loved it!

After sitting at the park, we went to get sushi for lunch at this place that was so good! Then, we went home and, of course, relaxed. And then, we took on the huge task of making tortilla española. I guess I should really say that Tim took on the task of making the tortilla. I did all of the easy steps, Tim flipped the tortilla, which is the hardest part. Want to see pictures? Too bad, talk to Tim. Stephanie and Karin came over for dinner, too. We had a really fun night and just relaxed because it was back to the classroom the next day.


January 8, 2014

The 8th was the day. First day back to school! School went okay, but we really didn't jump back into things. It was an extremely relaxed day at school. We spent the morning classes talking to the students about their vacations and about what the Three Wise Men brought them. And Tim and I told them what Santa Claus brought us. Also, all of the classes got presents from the Wise Men, so they opened those in the morning. Those presents were new classroom games, so can you guess what we did in the afternoon...played games. :) After school, Tim and I hung out at home and then walked to my Spanish class. Yep, that's right. Tim attended Spanish class with me. It was so cute and I can't thank him enough for allowing me to drag him there. Although, I think he did kind of enjoy it. :P He was trying at least. :) Then, after class, we got a drink with the other students and my Spanish teacher. We didn't feel like walking back, so we took the bus, then made dinner and relaxed. Overall, it was a good day, but I couldn't wait to have Tim see what a real day at school was like.


January 9, 2014

This day was more normal at school than usual, but it was a lot of review. We reviewed vocabulary and grammar that we had learned before break just to refresh everything for the students and they actually did quite well! And I'm glad Tim got to see what I do on a day-to-day basis. I think Tim's favorite class was playing with the kindergartners though. He helped them build things, organize there animals, he wore a pirate hat, etc. It was fun.

After school, Tim and I met with four of the girls that I tutor for a "class." It was really a class, we got milkshakes and just talked for about an hour, which is a lot of what I do in class, but I didn't get paid this time. It was just a free "Merry Christmas" class to all of them and so that they could meet my boyfriend. :) After the class, we went home and went to Karin's apartment to hang out. We watched the movie The Kings of Summer, which was kind of strange, but funny in parts. I fell asleep during a little bit of the middle though, but that's alright. And that was that day. Unfortunately, the days that Tim would be there were dwindling.


January 10, 2014

On Friday, I go in late, so we slept in a little, then went to school. We had one class and I started not feeling well at all. I felt semi-nauseous and I had a pain in my side that would not go away. I contemplated for all of breakfast whether I should leave or not, because I didn't want my coordinator thinking I was bailing since Tim was there, but I really did not think that I could make it through one more hour of class. So we left and went straight to the pharmacy to get some meds and then we boarded the train home. In hindsight, I'm really glad that I decided to go home because a little bit after I got home, I felt even worse. I still don't know what was wrong with me, but I am glad Tim was there. He made lunch while I laid on the couch and tried to nap. We ate lunch and watched friends all afternoon and by the early evening I started to feel a little better.

I am so glad that I felt better because I got to take Tim to a Peruvian restaurant down the street and it was excellent. We got all the things that I love about Peruvian food: papa a la huancaína, pollo a la brasa, lomo saltado, chicha morada, cancha, and ají. It was SO good! And there was soo much food! We had leftovers!
Tim even had his Peruvian hat with him
We also had quite the entertainment watching this guy literally fall asleep into his food. After dinner, we went to Karin's and then left to go relax on an outside patio of a bar. Then, we went back to my apartment and hung out. We played cards and taught Spoons to my roommates and it was really fun! That is how we ended the night and it was a good day, despite the morning.


January 11, 2014

Tim's second to last day here was even more chill than the rest. We literally hung out at my apartment all day long. We watched The Hunger Games and relaxed. Tim packed a little bit and I cleaned my room and we relaxed some more. We finally left my place to walk around a little bit at night and then we got sushi again. Then, we relaxed again. We did practically nothing, but it was a wonderful last full day in Madrid with Tim.


January 12, 2014

Dun dun dun...the day had come. Tim left on the 12th, but not until 8ish, so we still had a wonderful day planned. We ate breakfast and then I took Tim to experience the Rastro. He loved it! I think. He seemed to be interested, especially in the stands with all the knives. Ha. And I successfully stopped him from buying a gas mask. ;P Then, we went to a market and walked around for a little bit and I took Tim to a place that sells a variety of microbrews. And then, the best part, we went to ice cream! Yum! Then, we went home and Tim packed up more of his stuff (and mine). Thanks for letting me send stuff home with you, Tim! :) Then, the sadness started to hit, but it's okay, we knew that would happen. Karin and Stephanie came over for a little bit to say goodbye to Tim and then we left for the airport. We hung out at the airport for awhile until it was time for Tim to go through security. Saying goodbye really sucked and I still don't think I have fully acclimated back into the Madrid life since Christmas vacation, but I'm trucking through. Once back at home, I just hung out and watched the movie Gravity and started on my Christmas blogs that are now concluding with this one.

And that's that. All of these current blogs have been my Christmas break "in a nutshell." The days were awesome, the days with Tim here were even awesome-er, and I cannot wait to take advantage of these next five months, and then come home. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment