Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Puno/Arequipa (Día 6)

Finally, here is Day 6 and the final day of our Puno/Arequipa trip.  Although this was the last day in Arequipa, we were still able to get a few more tourist-y things done.  We started our day at 11:30 a.m. because we slept in since we had had a long day the day before at Colca Canyon.  When we left the hostel we got a taxi straight to Molinos de Sanbandia, which is an old mill that was built in the 1700s and it lies in the outskirts of Arequipa.  It was a nice little trip, but there wasn't a whole lot to see.  However, it was nice to see some fields and there was a good view of Volcán Misti.
The grinding mechanism
The watermill which causes the mill to work :)
Volcán Misti
After the small trip to the mill we headed back to the central plaza and found a kind of sketchy place to eat pollo a la brasa (grilled chicken).  Luckily, all of us survived the meal, probably because we followed it up with the deliciously creamy ice cream from the supermarket.  We also went shopping and found a Andean Christmas CD complete with panpipes and guitars. :)  It's a pretty joyful CD.  This is essentially what it consists of:
Our next stop was an art gallery that (obviously) had a few pieces of art in it.  As we looked at the artwork, I began to look at the booklet I was given about the art, well much to my surprise the art was done by people who did not have use of their upper limbs so they painted using a paint brush in their mouths.  I was amazed!  The artwork was sooo good and there was so much detail in some of them.  I guess that teaches you to push the limits and never say "I can't."
Me with one of the artists
After that, we took a stroll through the Casa de Moral, which is an old house that was built in the 1730s.  It has a mixture of baroque, European, and indigenous architectures and, in my opinion, the set-up of the house was pretty interesting.  There was also an art gallery in the house and because the house is now owned by one of the banks in Peru, there was a gallery of all the different coins and bills from the past.  We also were allowed to go to the roof of the house as well to check out the view.
Dining Room
View from the roof - the house is a rectangle with a patio in the center
Bedroom
I took a picture of this because it's Larcomar!!!
(Larcomar is the mall that was two blocks from my house in Lima)
Old money - The Inti
Once we were done at the Casa de Moral, we picked up our bags at the hostel and headed to the bus terminal.  We had a long journey ahead of us.  We left Arequipa on the bus at 4 p.m. and we had a 15 hour trip over night back to Lima.  On the bus, we watched the movie Real Steel, which I thought was going to be terrible, but I actually really liked it!  We also played Bingo and we were fed a decent meal.  Unfortunately, Tonisha and I also had to work on our presentations since we had those the next day at 10 a.m.  Tonisha went to sleep while I watched the movie, The Knowing and then I went to sleep as well.  Tonisha and I took pictures every hour of the trip, well not every hour, but every hour before I feel asleep.  There's a total of 8 photos and some of them are quite unattractive as the trip goes on, but I will show you the starting and ending photos. :)
4:08 p.m. (Leaving Arequipa)
6:58 a.m. (Pulling into Lima)
Overall, the 6 days away from Lima were amazing!  It was a fun trip and a great way to end my time in Peru.  I hope you have enjoyed reading about the 6 days away!  I'm still not done blogging so keep checking back to see my lists of "Things I miss/don't miss/on the fence."  Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment