Monday, September 12, 2011

Mistura

So today was my first day without my 8 a.m. class and it was quite nice not getting up at 6 a.m.  (Sorry I bailed on you Tonisha).  I started my day with Peruvian Social Reality, we again discussed race and the names for ALL the different races for when the Spanish came to Perú.  It was ridiculous, literally every different mix of races had it's own name.  For example, Español and India = Mestizo, Mestizo and Española = Castizo, Español and Negra = Mulato, etc.  All of the names for the races are crazy and ridiculous, there was actually one called "No te entiendo," which means "I don't understand you."  We also looked at a bunch of paintings from the colonial time and there were many paintings that were representations of the different races.  For example:
This picture depicts that from Español and India comes Mestizo
After class, I went to the library to renew my books that I have to read for Amazonian Ethnography and I asked how I could renew them online so I don't have to keep going back and the people there were sooo helpful.  I mean I'm assuming it was because I'm foreign, but it still was so comforting to have a lady invite me behind her desk so she could explain everything to me.  Following this, I had my Spanish Writing workshop and rather than going to my Ethnography class after that, I decided to skip it.  I know what you're thinking, "Andrea is down in Peru and she's not even going to class!," but don't worry...I skipped for cultural learning purposes (or that's what I'm going to call it anyway).  Four other people and I went to Mistura, a huge food festival here in Lima.  I'm not sure if any of you have been to or heard of the Taste of Chicago, but it was very similar to that.  There were food stands all over the place with food from Lima and all other parts of Peru!  It was wonderful and I ate/tried so much!!

And of course what else would you start the night out with except for Lasagna de Lomo Saltado!!  I didn't take a picture of this because obviously it just looked like lasagna, but it was delicious, however it didn't taste too much like Lomo Saltado, also we had Manjarblanco and Aguaymanto (a fruit from the jungle) crepes.  Again, no picture because they appeared like crepes, but again delicious!  I decided that I love Manjarblanco.  Oh, and of course we got Lúcuma milkshakes again.  Okay, here's a bunch of food pictures from the night:

Suspiro (a dessert that also has manjarblanco in it):
Delicious, but a little too sweet


A cookie with manjarblanco: Delicious

Causa: Potato, chicken, and avacado: not my favorite, but not disgusting.

Queso Helado (Cheese Ice Cream) from the town of Arequipa
Doesn't actually taste like cheese, but it is different, but still good!

Anticuchos: ignore the stuff underneath
cow heart meat chunks right now and it's delicious

Now looking at the stuff underneath: disgusting...
I'm still not quite sure what everything is,
but it consists of insides of a cow or chicken,
chicken hearts, probably some kidneys, who knows?

Ceviche: I personally still do not like it, but I know A LOT of people do!

Picarones!: delicious

Risotto: Pretty good

Chilcano, Delfin sour, Pisco sour

Perfect way to end the night:  I indulged in chocolate covered strawberries,
as well as pineapple/strawberry ice cream (best ice cream ever!!!)
Also, taste tested some Chocolate Pisco.
Tonight was all in all a wonderful night!  We tried going to the Chef Wong tent, but Chef Wong leaves at 3 p.m. so we missed him, but Chef Wong is the most known chef in Perú, especially for his ceviche.  Once again, I feel like I could be forgetting to tell you something about tonight and Peruvian gastronomy, but right now I don't recall.  However, if I do think of something I will re-post.

One last thing, I changed the settings to my 'Comments' section so now anybody should be able to comment, whether they have a Google account or not, so if you've been wanting to comment on my blogs and haven't been able to, then I say give it another chance.  Buenas noches!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are learning something and not just wasting my money.:) Actually all the food looked good to me.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^ hahaha your dad's comment was the best part of the blog (also the cheese ice cream)

    ReplyDelete