Friday, September 16, 2011

La música urbana

So, this morning, I cleaned and organized my room because it definitely needed it.  After the tidying up, I went out to lunch with Tonisha to a nice bakery called San Antonio, which is really close to my house.  After lunch, we walked to some markets near Tonisha's house, but we decided they didn't compare to Polvos Azules.  So despite the recent strike that was there, Tonisha talked me into going (she actually did have to talk me into it, I was a little hesitant).  We went on a hunt for two particular movies that we need to watch for our Ethnography class.  One was The Mission and the other El Dorado.  We found The Mission easily, but El Dorado was a little difficult to find.  I was supposed to find the Costa Rican version from 1988, but instead I found the 2010 U.S. television mini series vesion.  I went ahead and got it to watch, but I'm not worried about finding the correct version, because I also have a movie on reserve at the library that I can watch instead of El Dorado.  Interesting enough though, when you're in front of an unlimited amount of movies that cost less than a dollar it's hard not to look at your choices.  Needless to say I walked out of Polvos Azules with nine movies!!  I have a feeling by the end of the semester I will end up with more, too!  As we left Polvos Azules, we passed by the park where Mistura is still going on.  I wanted to go in sooo bad to get some of the delicious pineapple and strawberry ice cream, but it costs money just to get in so that was out of the question.  Then, Tonisha said I could pay someone to get me some and bring it out to me and I was ALL for that idea!!  But, then I realized that she was just kidding and she commented, "I don't think you would ever see your money or ice cream if you did that." :(  So what else do you do when you want ice cream that you can't have...you go to a different ice cream place!!!  We got on a micro to head to Larcomar (a strip mall near my house) to an ice cream place that Tonisha wanted to take me and the micro ride was a blast!  Number one:  It was rush hour, but we took a different road than usually so we really didn't get stuck in any traffic and Number two:  These two guys got on and started beatboxing and rapping!!  It was the coolest thing ever!  Here's a video..  I was trying to be conspicuous about it so obviously I didn't just point my camera at them, but you can kind of hear it...
The rapper was definitely freestyling and it was so cool and he was talented.  Oh and I understood a lot of what he said..yay go me!!!  He was pretty much rapping about everything and he started with rapping about the micros; it was comical.  They went on forever, too!!  They rapped and beatboxed for the majority of the micro ride!  I'm pretty sure that was the only time Tonisha and I were sad to get off the micro.  I know I could've just kept riding forever and listening, but I guess I'm happy we got off too because that meant it was ice cream time!  Tonisha and I got our delicious ice cream and sat down for a few minutes to eat it.  We then went our seperate ways.  I got home just in time for dinner (don't worry, I didn't spoil my dinner with the ice cream).  And of course for the rest of the night I've been doing homework...  Oh wait, who am I kidding...I bought 9 movies today, do you really think I did homework?! :)  Well, I hope you all have a great weekend!  I'm heading to the National Museum tomorrow for a CIEE cultural activity.  Buenas noches!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool!
    Can you imagine if someone in America started beat-boxing and rapping on a city bus?

    ReplyDelete