Thursday, September 15, 2011

El lápiz lindo

I headed to the university early this morning to meet up with Tonisha at the library.  We went on a mission to find the rest of our books/articles for our Ethnography class.  We succeeded!  Go us!!  Now we just have to get to reading them..that's the hard part!  Oh and then also the whole writing a paper afterwards, too..that can be difficult as well, but I think I'm up for the challenge.  Plus, so far, the readings aren't too boring.  I had ballet today, so of course it was a good day.  It's a pretty difficult work out though and the combinations are crazy, but I love it so much and I think it will be impossible not to improve.

Today was Deporte y Vida day, also.  Started out my time there helping a girl search for the departamentos and capitals of Peru in a crossword, but then quickly got switch to helping a young lady with English.  She was learning proper greetings, such as, "Hello, my name is Andrea" "Hi, Andrea, it's nice to meet you" "It's nice to meet you, too."  I really do enjoy helping them with English and, honestly, it does help with my Spanish skills a lot because sometimes I have to translate words/sentences or explain it in Spanish, so it's perfect!!  I also helped another boy with his English homework and he had to read and match sentences with pictures.  While I was helping this boy, I had to use his mechanical pencil several times, but he must have had different thickness of lead because I kept breaking it.  So rather than waste more of his lead, I decided to get out my own Papermate lime green mechanical pencil, well, by golly if I didn't just get out a pot of gold!  So many of the kids were amazed by it.  They wanted to know where I got it and how much it cost and if they could have it.  If I could have, I would've left right then and there, ran to a Walmart (which they don't have here), bought a bunch of Papermate mechanical pencils, and handed them out.  Of course, I do kind of need mine for classes right now, but I'll probably end up giving them (I have two) away when I leave.  Anyway, once the focus was no longer on my pencil, I help that same boy look up biographical information on George Washington and Napolean Bonaparte.  Then, I ended the day with some math.  The time there goes by so quickly, but I really am always happy to be there.  The kids make me smile, I haven't had to use "a teacher voice" on them yet so that's good. :)

Well, my plan for tonight was to get some reading done, but I don't know if that will happen, but hopefully this weekend!!  I hope you all had wonderful days today and I wish you a stupendous day tomorrow as well.  Also, always remember to appreciate the little things in life.  Even a lime green Papermate mechanical pencil has some value!

No comments:

Post a Comment