Saturday, September 10, 2011

Loco, Estúpido, Amor.

So today was pretty relaxing as well, but still amazing!  Warning, the first part of this blog is boring, I am only writing it so that I remember these events, they won't be exciting for you.

I slept in and had a nice long breakfast with my host mom.  I then spent the morning doing pretty much nothing until the early afternoon when I went on an adventure with Jacey to find the DHL office.  One thing that I didn't think to do before I left was check to make sure my debit card didn't expire.  Some things are just so small that you don't even think about them.  Luckily, I have a wonderful mom who shipped me my new card!!  However, of course since there's ridiculous taxes, I have to pay to get it, so it hasn't been delivered to my house...hence the adventure to the DHL store and boy was it an adventure.  First, I had to buy saldo (minutes) for my phone in order to call DHL to figure out where they were, but when I tried to call it didn't work from my cell, so Jacey and I meandered to her house to call from a landline.  We called four times and got put on hold three of the four times.  We had the name of the street, but nothing else really (and there are multiple different streets in Lima with the same name), so it was a dilemma.  But, we decided to take a risk and we jumped into a street cab and, luckily, we were able to find the place and it was sooo close (walking distance) to us.  When we got there the lady told me to call the central office to locate my package and of course I had already done that so I asked her to call for me, then I realized I forgot my tracking number, etc.  Also, may I add that when you're frustrated, it's really hard to speak in Spanish. :)  Jacey and I walked out the door to go on a hunt for an internet cafe to look up the number, when lo and behold, we came across Rachel (another girl from our program) who was heading to her house.  Thank you Rachel so much for letting me use your computer briefly!!  Anyway long story short, my card should come tomorrow!  Again, thanks Mom for shipping it!! :)

Okay, after that adventure I spent the rest of the afternoon doing some homework.  Of course I wasn't reading the books that are due on Monday, but I read homework that's not due until Wednesday.  Oops..but oh well, the readings were more interesting.  The readings were for my Living and Learning class and they discussed US American values and how other cultures sometimes perceive our values.  For example, our value of Self-Reliance can be seen as Self-Centered, our sense of Equality can be seen as disrespectful, and our sense of the "American Dream" can be seen as Materialistic.  Again, I just really enjoy the readings that are in this class.  They really make you think.  The reasoning behind these readings is not only to help understand the values of US Americans and to understand what our values can appear to other people, but also they help me to recognize that if I see values in play here in Peru, something I may see as a negative may be positive in the eyes of a Peruvian.

Okay and finally, tonight!  Tonight was soo fun.  I went to a café and movie with Mark (everyone else in the program went out dancing).  We started out the night at Café Z and I had a nice piece of chocolate cake and some kind of coffee (which didn't really taste like coffee, so I liked it).  We then headed to the theater and the movie we saw was Loco, Estúpido, Amor. (Crazy, Stupid, Love.)!!  It was sooo funny and good!!  You should all go see it for a good laugh!!  I think what will be most memorable from tonight is that Mark and I laughed a significant amount more than everyone else!  Right from the start of the movie, Mark and I were laughing and noone else was and I knew that's how it was going to be for the majority of the movie.  There is one specific part though that I will now always remember as the part that I laughed so hard!!  I mean the joke was funny, but Mark and I continued laughing because of the simple fact that noone else was!  I just could not stop laughing because clearly everyone else was confused by the joke.  But, it really was a good movie (even if you see it without non-laughing Peruvians).  So, that was my fun evening!  I hope all of you had amazing Friday evenings as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment