Saturday, September 24, 2011

El Rey León

I started out my day going to the Museo Nacional de Arqueología, Antropología e Historia del Perú in the nearby district of Pueblo Libre.  It was pretty good.  For some reason I feel I have become less and less fascinated by museums, but it was still a good time and I learned some new things....

Such as..different tribes used to shape their heads so they were easily distinguishable from other tribes.  Also, they would do surgeries on people by cutting part of their skull out to release spirits and then they would fill it in with fabric and it would just grow over.  Obviously, some people died from this, but it had a success rate of two thirds.  I'd say that's pretty good for cutting a part of the skull out.


Llama pottery


Replica of Machu Picchu

Painting of the Last Supper with cuy as the meal

A deep well
 Of course, I was semi-bored at a museum so what else do you do when you see a deep well like this...  I insisted we drop a penny down it to see how deep it was.  I asked our professor if we could and, to my surprise, he said "yes."  Now obviously nobody had a penny, but our professor gave us 5 centimos (2 US cents) to drop down.  Well, I know you don't know this, but the 5 cent piece here is literally like plastic toy money and before we dropped it down I questioned whether it would make a noise...and of course it didn't!  It pretty much floated down the well like a piece of paper, so obviously we couldn't give up there and we decided to use a sol, which is more like a quarter, and it worked!  The well was actually not as deep as I thought it would be, but it was definitely deep enough that I wouldn't have wanted to fall down it. :)

Anyway, another thing... This museum was much more quaint than the Museo de la Nación last weekend.  And also, the sun came out and it was beautiful.  Oh, I forgot to tell you that yesterday was the first day of spring!!!  How exciting is that?!  I don't know about you, but that's exciting!  I love spring!  Anyway, here's a picture of a plaza inside the museum.  See how spring-y it is out!
Also, for some reason there was a famous actor at the museum.  Our professor was a little giddy about it.  We obviously didn't really know him, but our professor explained that he is pretty well-known, so obviously we got a picture with him, but sadly, the picture is not on my camera so I can't show you right now.  Anyway, I'll tell you who the actor is since I know now.  It was Reynaldo Arenas, who apparently played Túpac Amaru in the movie Túpac Amaru.  Well, the only Tupac I know is the singer so then obviously I had to look up who Túpac Amaru was.  Well, he was the last leader of the Incas here in Peru, so I thought that was interesting.  Some US American movies that he has been in are Fire on the Amazon (with Sandra Bullock), Sniper (with Tom Berenger), and Hour of the Assassin (with Erik Estrada).  I personally haven't heard of those movies, but it's still pretty cool.

Anyway, after the museum I went back home, opened my window, sat in my bean bag chair in the sun, and did some reading for my Ethnography paper that is due on Monday.  Then, a group of students and I went to see El Rey León 3D in the theater!!  Translation:  We saw The Lion King in 3D.  Nothing beats seeing the classic Lion King in 3D and in Spanish!  See it's awesome...
If that's not good enough for you, check this out...

If you still don't understand the excitement of Spanish Disney movies, here's one last clip...


Haha, you get the point.  Anyway, I had a good day and I hope you did, too.  Now, I have to get back to a montaña de homework.  Buenas noches!  Dulces sueños!

No comments:

Post a Comment