Thursday, September 19, 2013

Primer día en Madrid

So, I have been up for 30ish hours approximately. I left the U.S. less than 24 hours ago and that's crazy to think about because it has been a very long and full day. The flight went well. They fed me a lot, which was nice, but they also interrupted my sleeping for breakfast when I had finally got to sleep. I got pretty restless, but I made it safely so that's all that matters. Once I got off the plane, the airport looked deserted. It was weird. I don't know if they just don't have flights until later, but at 8 a.m. (2 a.m. central time) there were no people at the airport. My exhausted self marched my butt through customs, baggage claim, bought a train ticket to where I was going and then...I got a workout. You know why, because supposedly the train station was too close to the hostel that I am staying at. The taxi driver refused to give me a ride. I seriously got in the taxi, he even put my 53 pound suitcase in the trunk and when I told him where I was going, he said it was too close and he wouldn't give me a ride. He told me it was a few blocks away (which I knew was false), but I started walking because there were no other taxis in sight. I passed a few people, but I decided to pass them up and lug my two bags and huge suitcase many blocks to the hostel. Needless to say, I was really tired, my arms hurt, and I was sweating. And I broke down after I checked into the hostel. After I got clean, I calmed down and my thoughts of "What the hell am I doing?" left my head.

For the rest of the day, I looked at a few apartments with my companion, Stephanie (who went to Carthage with me). I did see a nice one that I liked, however, the other occupants were smokers so I decided I could find a non-smoking, better apartment. I have spent a majority of the day looking at apartments online and I have six that I will be calling and looking at tomorrow. Karin (who is also here from Carthage) and I will be looking at places tomorrow and trying to find a place. There's really not too much of a hurry because I am at the hostel until Wednesday, but I would rather get it over with so I can feel settled in and not be living out of a suitcase. I need a place that I can call home, if I don't I think I'll go crazy.

Anyway, let's talk about how this is the first country outside of the U.S., that I've been to, where you can flush the toilet paper and no one questions you if you drink the water. Boring! Where's the fun in that?! Just kidding, this year will be fun and I know I will find many differences between here, the U.S., Perú, and Costa Rica. Also, let's talk about how there are a ton of people at the hostel from different places: Mexico, Portugal, Austraila, North Carolina, Belgium, China, India, Russia, and I'm sure the list goes on, but those are just the people that I've meet. I have also listened to a conversation on 9/11 conspiracy theories that people believe. Notice I said the word "listened." I let Stephanie take the reigns on that conversation, but it was interesting to hear people's opinion. We also had some not so serious conversations, like "Show me what your license looks like?" "Wow, yours is nice, mine is a piece of paper."

It's been a long day and still I was in the U.S. 24 hours ago..wow. Crazy. It's off to bed for me though. The other "students" at the hostel are going out, but I think I will hit the sack and get ready for another day of apartment hunting tomorrow. But for now, the others are not out yet and I am listening to the Mexican and Portuguese compare Spanish, Portuguese, and Brazilian Portuguese. It's entertaining. Adios. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment