Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Tengo el vuelo de vuelta

Tuesday, April 29th

On Monday night, I slept like a rock and I'm pretty sure I was still in a deep sleep when my alarm went off on Tuesday, but I got up and got ready for school. At school, I had an English class, where they learned a few more toy vocabulary words, like bike and scooter, and then I had a Science class, but it wasn't my regular class. The class I normally have second period went on a field trip to Ratoncito Pérez's house (aka the Tooth Fairy...the Tooth Fairy here is a mouse). So, in Science, the students started learning about things that can be built in a factory and other jobs like a plumber, opthamalogist, traumatologist, etc. I wish I was kidding, but seriously they are learning those words. Ha, but they are closely translated words to Spanish, so maybe it is easier for them to remember them. After breakfast, I had another Science class and they are a little behind and still on the landscape unit, but we are just finishing that up and they will start on the Jobs and Tools unit soon, but they don't like science all that much so it is hard to get them to focus. Luckily, we will be doing a project in the next unit, so hopefully that motivates them a little more. In the afternoon, I had one kindergarten class and we played number BINGO and I was quite impressed with their knowledge of the numbers up to 30 in English! Yay! :D They clearly have improved from the beginning of the year. After that, I went home, took a nap, and relaxed. Then, in the evening, I went on a run with Karin, came home and ate dinner, and then dedicated my night to looking at return flights to the U.S. And by dedicated my night, I mean I stayed up until 2 a.m. looking at prices. I have kind of been obsessed for the past few months and I couldn't stop trying to figure things out last night. Anyway, once in bed, I couldn't even fall asleep, it was kind of annoying, but I got to bed and all was well.

I should also point out that I love that Real Madrid and Atleti de Madrid are both in the semifinals. I heard everyone in their apartments, in the bars, on the streets screaming about the Real Madrid vs. Munich game. Real Madrid won 4-0!


Wednesday, April 30th

Today was a pretty good day. I went to school and helped teach the students about jobs and about toys and that was about it. In the kindergarten class today, they worked on filling out a May calendar with the numbers and the special days and colored a flower for spring. I also started reading them a children's version of Don Quixote de la Mancha in English. Obviously, they don't understand anything I am saying, but it is good for them to hear me talk and I ask them about the pictures. Also, they just sat so well and listened. It was great. :) At lunch, Julia and I started working on translating a Powerpoint presentation for the school in English. It isn't really in our job description and it is kind of difficult, but we were asked to do it, so we are. Also, at lunch, I was once again obsessing over finding a flight home. The problem that I was having is that they are super expensive, like double what I paid to get here and the flight, plus my rent is one whole paycheck, which is just depressing. However, I found a flight that is just convenient. It leaves and lands at a good time, has a good layover, and is just overall appealing, so after school, I bought it. Part of me is still unsure if I should have waited longer or not, but at this point, I just don't care. I'm happy with the flight I got and I will not be looking at flights for a long time. Ha. Anyway, after school, I had my private lessons. The two older girls had to work on a project together, so tonight I gave their lesson together, so that means I got done with lessons an hour earlier. We just talked and practiced speaking and then with the younger girl, we continue to practice the months of the year and today we worked on some pronunciation of the b, v, ph, and f. I feel like I have no right to teach pronunciation, but it actually went really well. The b and v are pronounced the same so I was really proud of her for being able to watch my mouth movements and make the right sounds. :D Also, the mom gave me a little extra money today and I told her it was too much and then she did that grandma thing where she refused to take it back. She told me to buy something with it and I was really grateful. Also, I saw a sun dog on the way home, so that was pretty pleasant, too. Overall it was a good day and it's pretty late here already and I have to be up in four hours to leave for the airport. I am going to Munich for this long weekend (we have Thursday and Friday off). So, sorry still haven't written about Easter break and I will have to write about Munich when I get back. Hope you're still looking forward to that! I will talk to you all on Monday! :D Byeeee

Also, the Atleti game wasn't even in Madrid today and I could hear the screams. Atlético beat Chelsea 3-1. I really hope it gets down to Atlético vs. Real Madrid! Madrid will be a madhouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment