Friday, May 9, 2014

El color esperanza

Tuesday, May 6th

Tuesday was my first day back to school after the puente (long weekend). Karin, Stephanie, and I spent the weekend in Munich, Germany and you will hear aobut that eventually..you know, once I write about Morocco, Granada, and Málaga, too. Whoa, wayyy behind on blogs, sorry, but I promise you will enjoy them, once they are up. Anyway, on Tuesday, in English, we finished up the toy unit and we played memory and a detective game to review the words one last time. When we went to play the detective game, one student said it was super boring and he didn't even know what the game was yet, then five minutes later he was saying "¡Qué guay!" (How cool!) Ha. It was amusing and he definitely had to wait his turn before he got to play the game. After that, I had another English class where we started the new unit, action verbs, like swim, skate, jump, fly, swing, hop, climb, etc. They got to learn a fun little song that has a little dance with it. Think of it as the Cha Cha Slide.."Now hop to the right, walk 1, 2, 3.." :) I constantly have the school songs in my head. After breakfast, I had Science and in this particular class, we are behind the other classes. They just learned plow, hoe, spade, but don't worry, we caught up (you'll see that on Wednesday). After lunch, I had a kindergarten class and I got to play with them in their stations. They have a new experiment station and they are pretty psyched about it because they have snails and worms in the station. I don't think I have ever seen a real snail before, but now I have. They are pretty cool. I could do without the maggot looking worms though (I get that from my mom). They are also learning about the planets so some of the other stations were doing things that had to do with that, like placing the planets in the correct order. After school, I had class with Esther and it went really well. She helped me practice answering random speaking prompts to help prepare me for my test that I have in July. Then, I helped her with some of her master's work. Once I got home, I was supposed to have an initial phone interview for a job in the U.S. for next year, but that fell through, but that's okay because the interviewer e-mailed me back offering me a formal interview, which will probably be over Skype or something like that. So if you could, please pray that that goes well and please pray that my wifi works. I think that is what I am most nervous about is that the internet connection won't be good. Anyway, I ate dinner and then I was off to bed.


Wednesday, May 7th

On Wednesday, we worked on the verbs again in English and in Science, we worked on the transportation unit and reviewed the means of transport and communication. So they had to tell us if a car was a means of transport or communication and stuff like that. Then, we had a lot of fun in kindergarten. They checked out their library books and then they sang me not one but two songs! One was a planet song, that of course had been modified because Plutón (Pluto) was in the lyrics, but it was so cute. Then, they sang me a song called El color esperanza by Diego Torres, an Argentine singer. It's a really pretty song and I had never heard it before so I am sharing it with you here. :)

During lunch, Julia and I worked on translating a school powerpoint and then after lunch, in another Science class, we worked on transportation by land, air, or sea. All I could hear in my head was "One if by land / two if by sea / and I on the opposite shore shall be / ready to ride and spread the alarm / to every small city, village, and farm." I'm not even sure if those are the correct words (P.S. I was soo close change "small city" to "Middlesex"), but with all the land and sea talk that's all I could think of. I'm pretty sure we had to memorize that whole Longfellow poem in like 5th grade. Too bad I don't remember all of it. Ha, but really don't hesitate to ask me to sing the preposition song or the first paragraph of the The Gettysburg Address. :) Oh, the things you learn when you're young. Anyway, after that, we finished up the farming science unit in the class that was behind and that was a big accomplishment. At the end of the day, I had my private lessons, which all went really well. The two older girls went on a field trip at school to see El señor de las moscas (The Lord of the Flies) I haven't read the book or seen the movie since the 8th grade, but I never forgot how weird it was. Ha. Both girls really seemed to like it though and apparently a famous actor was in it and another cute guy was in it, so I'm told. Also, I had a pretty serious conversation with one of the girls about being stuck on an island, concentration camps, and immigration. Don't ask me how we skipped from one topic to the next, but it still amazes me that she can speak in English at a level like that.

Anyway, once I got home, I was feeling sick and tired. I have been sick since Germany, but on Wednesday night it really hit. I felt like my grandpa, I resorted to using a handkerchief. One, because it is a lot softer on my nose and it already hurt enough from all the paper towels I was using at school. And two, because I am trying to conserve toilet paper. Ha. Remember when I said I was probably on my last package of toilet paper before I leave. Well, with all the mucus that my body is expelling (sorry, TMI) the toilet paper is dwindling fast...hence, the handkerchief. It's actually not a bad idea either. I can see why my grandpa always carried one around. Despite feeling sick, I stayed up and watched El Hormiguero and Lucia (my roommate) actually met one of the guys, Mario Vaquerizo, that is always on the show on Wednesday. I thought that was so cool. She got a picture with him and everything and said he was really nice. Also, for weeks now, El Hormiguero has been randomly selecting telephone numbers and calling people and when the people answer they ask "¿Sabe usted lo que quiero?" (Do you know what I want?) and the people should answer "Regalarme el coche del Hormiguero" (Give me a car from El Hormiguero). Like I said, this has been going on for weeks and I still don't think anyone has won a car. Clearly, not all of Spain watches the show, but they should. Lucia, Rocío, and I are waiting for our phone to ring sometime and we will know the answer to the question. Anyway, after that and watching Glee, it was off to bed.


Thursday, May 8th

On Thursday, we started the verb unit with one of my English classes and then in the other class, we started learning "I can" and "I can't." For example, I can't fly, I can't jump, I can walk, I can swing. Sidenote: Did you know that skipping is jumping rope in British English? So my question is what do they call what we know as skipping? Anyway, after a lunch of translating and eating, I got to see more worms in another kindergarten class and play with them. Then, in Science, the students started learning about the parts and people at an airport: pilot, flight attendant, controller, runway, etc. After school, I had my lessons. The younger boy has a big English exam this month that is part of the whole school system in Spain. You pretty much have to pass it to move on, so we started prepping for that. Then, his brother had a possible English test the next day, so I helped him study for that. Then, I had one more lesson that went well and I was off for home. Once at home, I relaxed and started packing for Sevilla. That's right, I am going to Sevilla this weekend, because why not? Ha. And that's that.


Friday, May 9th

Today has been a good and productive-ish day. I went to school and had P.E. where I helped Esther translate her instructions into English. Next week is cultural week, so all of the classes have to exchange something with another class and the 1st graders are learning a Peter Pan song and dance to share. So, they were practicing that in P.E. Then, in the English class, every single student got their work pages done and then they worked on coloring a backdrop, which will also be used for cultural week. Then, I got to play with kindergartners (no worms this time, but we did make a volcano erupt. :)) and I learned something awesome! Well, you might not think it's awesome, but I think it is. The students were coloring Van Gogh's Starry Night and guess what they were coloring with? Chalk. I know that doesn't sound out of the ordinary and maybe you're thinking, won't that rub off of paper? Well, you'd be right, but they were dipping it in water first and then coloring. It was making the chalk a more vibrant color and it stayed on the paper better. It was pretty cool, so if you like arts and crafts I would suggest just trying to color with water and chalk. It was pretty cool, mostly because I had never seen it before. As for the teacher's English class. I didn't have it today. I hung out for a little bit and only had a few "students" pop-in, but it wasn't worth it to stay, so my coordinator said that I could go. Once I got home, I finished packing, ate lunch, and watched last night's Grey's Anatomy episode, because you just can't keep me away, and then I got on the bus to Sevilla. I am actually currently on it while I write this. It's a 6-hour bus ride and my computer won't last that long, but I'm hoping to get at least the Morocco blog done while I am on here. I would like to make it a productive bus ride, if possible. We will see. Also, I guess I should tell you why I am going to Sevilla, or maybe I already have, but just in case, I will repeat myself. I am going because it is their Feria de Abril (April Fair). Yes, I know it is not April, I think the time of Easter this year threw it off, but nonetheless, I am going and I am planning to flamenco the night away. Ha, not really, but maybe. :) I will be staying will Lucia's family again, like I did at Christmas, so that should be fun, but unfortunately Lucia couldn't come because she is living the college life and has an exam tomorrow. Anyway, I am pretty excited and that will be one more blog to write once the weekend is over. I will get them done sooner or later. :) Hope you had a great week and have a great weekend! :D


Also, in my last post, I talked about hoping that Atleti and Real Madrid play in the finals and I'm an idiot because they already are playing in the finals. The game will be at the end of this month. Madrid is going to be a madhouse. It should be fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment