Friday, February 14, 2014

Día de San Valentín

So school this week was pretty good. The students are working on clothing and weather in English. It rained/snowed at the beginning of this week, which the students were excited about, but I wouldn't consider what we got in Madrid center snow, it was more like sleet. However, it did snow in the mountains, which is cool. I keep wanting actual snow, but then we also are still have really warm days, which gets me excited for summer. For example, this morning was really nice and it made me want to sing and dance to what I would consider a summer anthem, the song "Unwritten," on my way to school.
I know it doesn't even feel close to warm weather for you guys yet. I'm sorry. I'll try not to make you too jealous when I start blogging about how warm it is. :)

Anyway, classes with the kindergartens were pretty fun this week. They are preparing for carnival and their theme is Alice in Wonderland so every class has a different costume related to the story. It's fun for the students, but it's also kind of boring because they all have the same costume. It's nothing like Halloween in the sense that every student picks his/her own costume, but the costumes are still pretty cool and the students are having a blast making them.
Oh, by the way, there was A LOT glitter again
Also this week, I once again was reminded how gross falling out teeth are, but this time it was not natural. A boy in one of my classes told me that he broke his tooth at recess. In my head, I was thinking "Okay, it's just chipped." WRONG! His tooth was literally broken and yet still attached. I can't even describe it, but it was disgusting and he's getting it pulled this weekend. Gah. I can tell you right now, I am NOT looking forward to the day when my wisdom teeth have to come out. :(

Anyway, all of my lessons went well this week and I was reminded again how hard English pronunciation is. I wish I could remember specifically what words were difficult for my lessons, but there were two that were extremely close where even I could understand why it was hard to tell the difference. Anyway, on Tuesday, I went to a lesson of my own, also known as the intercambio--where you go and talk to people in Spanish and English, so you can practice and they can practice. I haven't been back since before Christmas, so it was good.

Another exciting thing that happened this week was last night (Thursday). Karin's parents just got here yesterday, so Stephanie and I joined them for dinner. Actually, I had already eaten dinner so I just had dessert, but it was delicious. After dessert, I came home and worked on the teachers' lesson for today, which was based around Valentine's Day. It was a pretty fun lesson, but then, I didn't end up giving it today. :( Instead of having English class, we learned two dances for Carnaval. So, it stinks that I planned a lesson that I didn't give, but we had fun learning the dance. Also, I think the students will really enjoy that we will be dancing with them for Carnaval. On another note, I kept being told that Valentine's Day isn't really a big deal here, but I saw several guys walking around with flowers and they talked about it on the news, so I'm pretty sure it's a thing. Plus, I wasn't told that we would be talking about it in school and I got to school only to find out that my co-teacher wanted me to tell the students what we do in the U.S. It was just a little frustrating because if I had known ahead of time, I would have created a presentation and made a fun lesson for the students, but instead, I gave a 10 second blurb of what we did. Andrea fail. :( Oh well.

My plans for the weekend include doing some finishing touches on my job applications, watching How I Met Your Mother and the Olympics, and doing absolutely nothing, but maybe some plans will come together. I hope you all have relaxing weekends and Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment