Friday, March 21, 2014

Primavera y fruta

Monday, March 17th

Monday was my day off and I woke up early with the sun, but decided to sleep in, well because I could. Ha. I ate breakfast and relaxed, did my Monday cleaning, applied for another job, and then sat at the park for a few hours soaking up the sun. :) It was a fantastic day. :) At night, I had class, which went well and then just came home and relaxed some more. :) No complaints here on my Monday. :)


Tuesday, March 18th

On Tuesday, it was back to school and I started the day off with an English class, finishing the farm animals unit and teaching/reviewing fruits with the students.  In the next English class, we finished up farm animal unit and then in Science we started working on the difference between a town and a city. Cities have big buildings, towns don't. Cities are noisy, towns aren't. Cities are bigger, towns are smaller, etc. Then, in the afternoon, I taught another kindergarten class about the United States and had them color the flag and Illinois. :) After school, I had my language exchange with Esther and it was really good! We talked about the quality of life and our futures and it was just really good conversation. :) Then, I came home, made dinner, and relaxed. This week has and will be filled with relaxation. :)


Wednesday, March 19th


Wednesday morning, we watched a story about a couple of pirates. The captain picks fruit, but the other pirates don't help him so when the captain goes to make/eat a fruit salad, he doesn't share because the others didn't contribute. Ha. So not only was it helping them practice their vocabulary, but it was a pretty good lesson, too, I guess. :) After that English class, I had a science class and the students started learning about the different places in cities and towns, like school, post office, museum, restaurant, cinema, etc. They actually already have a pretty good grasp on those things. :) It's exciting. After breakfast (that's right, I still get breakfast at school every morning), I went to a kindergarten class and they are starting a unit on Mafalda. Mafalda is a comic strip that was drawn by an Argentinian and she kind of reminds me of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes just because the fact she is a 6-year-old girl and so cute. Here's a strip that has been translated into English.

Also, Mafalda's favorite song is apparently Yellow Submarine, so of course, the kindergartners learned the chorus to that song. Let me tell you, hearing 24ish students sing "We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine..." is adorable! :D In the afternoon, we did more city and town and fruit salad stuff and then the school day was over. Then, I had my lessons. I love my Wednesday lessons. They go so well and I get to see a dog that is in love with me. She goes crazy everytime I walk in the door. :) It's pretty fun. Also, I just love the girls that I tutor. One of the girls asked me what "timber" meant because of the Kesha song. Ha, that was an interesting explanation. After that, I went home and relaxed and went to bed.

On another school note, you know how I got one of those bracelets last week, well they have since completely exploded! Girls and boys are wearing like six or more on their arms at once. :) They are starting to become a problem and my friends and I are waiting for them to be banned from our schools. Haha. I mean, it's a pretty entertaining discussion between Karin, Stephanie, and I at night. Yesterday, Stephanie got two or three bracelets AND a ring from her students! Ha. We are pretty popular. Also, last note, our plants are growing pretty well in Science class. I will show you a picture when I get the chance.

P.S. Happy Father's Day in Spain!


Thursday, March 20th

First day of Spring, but not really, I guess. I thought yesterday was the first day of Spring and even the Google doodle told me that it was the first day of Spring, but we did not celebrate it or change the season because apparently it began in the afternoon? What?! I'm still confused by this, but whatever. It's been Spring in my head for at least a week now and in honor of that, here is a song that ALWAYS makes me think of warm weather!
Other than that, school was good, we did the same things and we're on the same units still, then in the afternoon, we had the workshops. We switched to a different group, so we had to act out the play again and then they picked characters and we read through the play once. Luckily we are recycling the costumes from last week, so it wasn't as hectic and we didn't have to run around trying to do all the costumes in one day. :) After school, I had my lessons. Since Monday was St. Patrick's Day, I decided to teach the two boys that I tutor about that. That was pretty fun because they thought it was the strangest thing and they thought it was so weird that Chicago dyes the river green. However, when I asked them if they wanted to celebrate it, they said yes. Their reasoning? No school. Ha. And I was like....actually... and then the older boy said that he would go to Ireland and celebrate because they probably don't have school there. Students always trying to get out of school. Can I tell you a secret? Teachers like days off, too! :)

After school and lessons, I went home, ate dinner, packed, and watched El Hormiguero. On the Hormiguero, the guest was a singer named, Romeo Santos. I have heard this song before, but since it was on my mind last night, I decided that I would post it here. Enjoy.


Friday, March 21st

Why did I pack last night, do you ask? Because today, I am leaving with Esther and Javi (two teachers from my school) to go to Esther's hometown. :) It should be really fun; however, it is supposed to snow! What???!!! I was already in love with this Spring/Summer weather! That's okay, though, I'll get over it! But yea, after school, we are leaving. But I guess I should tell you about my morning. This morning, I taught the 1st graders how to play capture the flag. It was a little too advanced for them though. Some of them knew what was going on, others did not. Esther is going to teach it to a different class and see how it goes. After that, I had a English lesson where the students learned a few more words associated with fruit, like lemonade, smoothie, juice, and jelly (did you know jelly is jello in British English?). Then, I played with some kindergartners and now, I am just waiting for school to get over so that we can head out. I hope you all enjoy the first weekend of Spring! I will talk to you when I return! :)

Also, happy birthday to my amazing boyfriend and his mom! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment