Monday, March 17, 2014

El finde con Tonisha y Ross

Saturday, March 15th

On Saturday, Tonisha, Ross, and I slept in a little bit and then we made breakfast at my place. Then, we took off on a big adventure around Madrid. I am actually really surprised at home much we did in one day! Go us! I took them to Puerta del Sol (Madrid's city center), Plaza Mayor, showed them the oldest restaurant in the world, the cathedral, the royal palace, Plaza de España, and Templo de Debod. Those are all pretty standard places to go in Madrid and even though I have been to all of these places before I decided to take more pictures.
Inside of Madrid's Cathedral
The Royal Palace (where the King and Queen don't live)
Plaza de España
 After seeing all of that stuff, we actually did something that I haven't done yet, which was ride the teleférico, which is a cable car that travels from Madrid to Casa de Campo, which is a huge park and according to Wikipedia, an old royal hunting estate. It is now a big park with trails and the Madrid Zoo and an amusement park. So, we rode the cable car to casa de campo and then walked to the nearest metro and took the metro to the other side of town.
On the teleférico
View of the Royal Palace and Cathedral from the teleférico
Once on the other side of town, we stopped for a much needed lunch at VIPS, which is a chain restaurant here in Spain. It was delicious and, after lunch, we continued our walk to see Plaza Cibeles, the city hall, and Retiro Park.
Beautiful tree in Casa de Campo
City hall
Parque de Retiro
Inside the Palacio de Cristal
Palacio de Cristal
Turtles bathing in the sun. They have the right idea.
After hanging out in the park, we went to Museo del Prado and Reina Sofía, both are art museums. If you can remember all of my travels, I went to Museo del Prado a few weeks ago and I went to Reina Sofía at the beginning of the year. I don't know how we did it, but we were able to go to both. I mean, it was definitely a very quick breeze through, but Tonisha got to see the masterpieces that were in both museums, which is great (Ross saw them too, but he had seen them before). :) After the museums, we were planning to take the bus back to my place, but we decided just to walk the whole thing, which isn't too bad of a walk, but I think we were all excited to be sitting once we got back. Once we got back, we got the chance to skype Mark and his fiancée, Leah! Again, if you haven't been following my blog since the beginning, then you don't know who Mark is! Mark was also in Peru with Tonisha and I and he did a lot of traveling with us! :) So, it was great seeing him and talking to him and meeting Leah! :) After skyping them, we made some dinner and then it was off to bed. It was a day packed full of fun, sun, and walking. :)

P.S. Sorry I have no photos of us all yet, they are on Tonisha's camera. When I get them, I will share them.


Sunday, March 16th

On Sunday, Ross had to go and pick up a friend from the airport early, so Tonisha and I slept in a little bit and then we got up, ate breakfast, and waited for the two boys to come back. Then, we met up with Stephanie and Karin to go to the Rastro, that street flea market that happens every Sunday. My mission was to find an Atlético soccer (or rather, fútbol) jersey, because Karin and I are planning to go to a game in early April. I did not find an Atlético jersey that I liked; however, I found a jersey from Spain's national team that I really like. So even though it's not specifically Atlético, it represents all of Spain, which is fine by me...and it looks pretty sharp on, if I do say so myself. :P

After the Rastro,  we walked to Madrid Río and sat by the river for a little bit just soaking up the sun and talking. Then, we went to the Peruvian restaurant that is right down the street from my house. It was SO delicious! I think Tonisha and I were in heaven! YUM! Also, I think everyone else enjoyed the food, too! :) After eating lunch, Tonisha, Ross, and Ross's friend, Ben, left to go back to the south of Spain. It was sad to see them go, but it was great seeing them and I'm hoping to make it down there sometime in May. After they left, I hung out at home for a bit and then went to the park with Karin just to hang out some more, then we went for a short run, and went our separate ways. I went home and made dinner and watched the movie A Case of You, it was a cute movie and I was glad to just relax after the weekend. I went to bed pretty early for me, too, which was great!

Side note: I bought a whole case of strawberries the other day and they are delicious! To my family members who see this, they will understand. I love strawberries!
These are all for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment