Sunday, March 9, 2014

La gran cabalgata (Day 3 in Cádiz)

Sunday, March 2nd

Okay, this was our last day in Cádiz and again the whole household slept in and we again ate churros and toast for breakfast at around 12 p.m. or even 1 p.m. We hung out in Chiclana and then, as a group, we headed to Cádiz for the last time before leaving. I think we got to town around 5 p.m. and we spent the first part of our time in Cádiz searching for a place to eat. The first couple places we went to were out of bread/food. It's hard to make a sandwich without bread and it's hard to feed so many people in Cádiz. Somehow, there was enough beer for everyone, but not enough bread. Ha. Anyway, as we waited for our food/ate, a famous guy walked past us. I didn't know him, but our host pointed him out and kind of looked starstruck. To be honest, I don't remember his name, but I know he worked a lot with Camarón de la Isla, who I do know (from class) and who was a famous flamenco singer in Spain back in the day.

Sidenote: I just looked up Camarón de la Isla to see who he worked closely with to see if I could recognize who we saw. Well, one of the guy's he worked closely with was Paco de Lucía and he just died on February 26, 2014, so I sure hope it wasn't him....may he rest in peace.

Anyway, we spent the rest of the afternoon standing in a plaza just hanging out. There were chirigota groups singing, but we weren't really paying attention to them. This was definitely a setting were you just want to be hanging out with a group of friends. We stayed with our host and his friends for quite awhile, but then we went our separate ways. After stopping to get empanadas, we worked our way towards the big parade. We are lucky we did because we just caught the end of it. It was really too bad, I wish we could have seen more of it and hung out by the parade route more, but it's all good. I am happy with what we saw, plus thanks to YouTube, I can see the parts of the parade that I missed.

After watching the end of the parade and watching the confetti in the streets drift like it was the middle of winter in Illinois, Stephanie and I bought some candy and then went to a café for about an hour and a half waiting for our overnight bus to leave. It was an okay bus ride, but for some reason a group of older women decided that it wasn't an overnight bus and that they could laugh and talk (loudly) all they want. It was okay though, I made it through the weekend and the evening. I still don't know a lot about Cádiz as a city, but I know they throw one crazy Carnaval. If you don't mind crowds and partying than it is the place to be.

I hope you have enjoyed reading about Cádiz and I hope you had a great weekend. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment