Monday, January 28, 2013

What I learned on my first day of school

Today was my first day of student teaching for grades K-5.  I haven't really had experience with students of this age, but I already learned/realized a lot from my first day of teaching...

1. One Direction is the new Backstreet Boys and N'Sync
2. One of the member's name is Harry
3. I forgot how small I was even in 5th grade
4. The Disney Channel has moved on from Lizzie Mcguire and That's So Raven
5. Talking to little kids is way different then talking to adolescents (I need to practice)
6. My feet are not used to standing all day
7. Water fountains are short in elementary school
8. Activities done in elementary school are fun!

Okay, so that definitely can't be all I learned, but that's all I can think of right now.

I guess I will also share that my school is an IB (International Baccalaureate) school.  As stated in the mission statement, IB "aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect," etc.  It's actually a pretty nice program because it emphasizes that the students uphold certain qualities.  For example, the IB Learner Profile traits are...inquirers, comunicators, caring, reflective, principled, open-minded, thinkers, balanced, knowledgeable, and risk-takers. I'm obviously just beginning my learning experience, but I can already tell that everything I learn at this school will help me in my future, no matter what grade I am teaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment