Monday, May 7, 2012

La semana final

So, this week is the last week of classes here at Carthage, but before I talk about what is coming up this week, let me tell you what I've been up to.

This past week, I've been going to tutoring, working, dancing, and doing homework.  I have finished everything excluding the final draft of my thesis and its presentation, which is great because it means that I can focus on the thesis this week.  For my jazz final, which is this Wednesday, two other girls and I choreographed a dance to the song Domino by Jessie J.  I don't have our dance recorded, however, the song is good so you should still listen to it. :)
I had my practice thesis presentation in class last Tuesday and it went pretty well..I think.  We were only given 10 minutes, but our final presentations will be 15 minutes.  It's funny because I could actually talk for a half hour or about my thesis, so it's going to be kind of hard to shove it into 15 minutes, but it's do-able.  I also had a meeting last week about ways to market studying abroad on a résumé and ways to study abroad after graduation.  There are really good opportunities to teach English in another country after graduation and they are really appealing, however, I am going to research those more this summer.

Last Thursday, I went to the Milwaukee Art Museum for my Choreography and Repertory class.  It was really cool!  They had dancers there from the Wildspace Dance Company based in Milwaukee performing in one of the exhibits.  It was really cool to see dancers making art in front of art. :)  Our assignment while there was to observe the dancers and write a short review and also we were told to choose a piece of art in the museum and choreograph our own dance based on the artwork.  I chose a painting called It's Raining Anita Huffington by Larry Rivers.  It's actually really funny that I chose this painting because I googled the name Anita Huffington out of curiosity and it turns out that she was a sculptor who studied dance under Martha Graham and Merce Cunningham, who are two very well known choreographers that I have learned about in several of my dance classes.  Anyway, it was a fun assignment and I'm really happy with the painting I chose.
It's Raining Anita Huffington, Larry Rivers
Anyway, on to the non-academic things I did this past week...

I went shopping to buy a new outfit for my presentation and if I do say so myself, it's adorable!  Thank you JCPenney!  Also, I watched Iron Man and Iron Man 2, which are both fantastic movies and I love Robert Downey, Jr.  And no, I haven't seen The Avengers yet, however I heard that it's really good and worth seeing!!  I also went bowling where I got my butt kicked.  Well actually, I didn't do too bad for not bowling in awhile.  I bowled a 102 the first game and a 99 the second game.  Although when you compare my score with the 257 bowled by my friend Ian, who brought his own shoes and two bowling balls with him, my score is pretty pathetic.  However, it was still REALLY fun!!!!
Tim, Ian, and I after bowling!
Anyway, on Saturday, I spent the evening hanging out with my roommate.  We watched the Kentucky derby, where both of our horses lost, we watched The Lion King on T.V., which is just a classic, and we watched Project X, which was showing here at Carthage.  It has recently become a tradition for Taylor and I to watch the Kentucky derby.  We did it last year, so when I heard it was on, we just had to do it again this year, meaning we will probably do it again next year. :)  And The Lion King, well like I said it's a classic and the last time I saw it, I was watching it in 3D in Perú and although I loved it in Spanish, I still don't think it compares to the English version.  And finally, Project X.  Well it was an interesting movie to say the least.  It wasn't too bad, it's your typical party movie to the extreme and to be honest, it's rated R for a reason.  Definitely don't let your kids watch it.  It has horrible morals and not a good lesson.  The lesson of the movie is pretty much that if you throw a party for 1500 people, your dad's car ends up in the pool, and your house gets burned down, then your dad will actually be impressed by your actions and you will receive little consequence and you will be the cool kid in school.  And we all know that that's not true!  However, it was a good non-thinking movie.

Okay, on to this week, like I said, I finished my written paper for my thesis tonight, which is a huge accomplishment!!  I still have to proof and revise it, but I will be meeting with a tutor to do that and then it's due on Sunday!!  My thesis presentation is scheduled for Thursday and that's practically all I have to work on this week!  So I have a couple more days to prepare that and then my semester is practically over!!!  It's soooo exciting!!!!  Well, I will probably talk to you next week and let you know how everything went!!  Wish me luck!! :)  Happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. plus don't forget that next year we are going to make fun hats while watching the kentucky derby!!! maybe then our horses will win!

    ReplyDelete