Monday, February 27, 2012

Ghost Bike

Okay, so another week is down.  Let's see if I can remember everything that happened!

First of all, I guess I will say that I'm still dancing a lot.  The Spring dance show is coming up in a little less than two weeks and I feel pretty prepared for it.  Rehearsals are all going very well and I'm excited to perform them on stage (I think I've already said this before).  I've gotten the chance to do a contemporary routine this year, which is awesome for me because I love contemporary.  And the dance that I am in deals with the different stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance).  So, not only is it a physically tiring dance, but it's also kind of emotionally tiring.  The reason I'm telling you this is because I attended Carthage's play this weekend and it also dealt with loss and grief.  First off, the play was great!  It was called Ghost Bike and it was the story of a girl "who refuses to let go of her best friend Eddie after he is hit and killed by a car while riding his bike." (Here's a link to an article about the play:  Playwright offers students instant feedback) It was a pretty intense play and the way it was staged was amazing.  Also, for me, it showed that when you lose a loved one, you really would give anything to just see or talk to him/her one last time.  I'm not going to lie, the end brought tears to my eyes and it obviously got me thinking about all the loved ones that I have lost.  Anyway, it was really interesting to watch the play after knowing the stages of grief from the contemporary dance that I am in.  If you want to learn about the five stages of grief, go here.


Anyway, on to a less depressing subject... I helped my sister and her husband move in to a new apartment this weekend.  I don't really think I did much, but I was happy to see my family!!  Also, it's cool to see them start a new chapter in their lives.  Love you both!


Okay, on to school, thesis, homework stuff...  Classes are still going well.  I'm keeping busy with a lot.  My thesis isn't really coming along yet, but I'm going to start researching this week because we have to have four pages written by next week.  Also, I have my first 'exam' in Jazz II, which consists of performing a short routine in the style of Bob Fosse (choreographer of Chicago and Cabaret). :)  Other than that, all my other classes are going well.  I have a lot of big projects and all the due dates are making it difficult to keep track of everything, but luckily, I'm fairly organized.  Also, I'm meeting with a tutor four times a week to continue practicing Spanish.  So that's been great way to practice considering the United States isn't a Spanish-speaking country so I'm not speaking it everyday like I was in Peru.


Well, I have to get back to homework now.  I hope you have a wonderful week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment